• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg G.

• docwyte

• hufflepuff

• bionicbelly

Thinking out loud... what if section "C" "Engine modifications" were removed from the PTC/TTC car classification form as well as Base car weight. All cars would be required to dyno at the 14.5:1 AWHP. Base car classing would need to be modified and would be a good opportunity to Bring slower cars up and faster cars down. All other sections of the car classification would remain as is which would really help in keeping costs down.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Am hoping this statment still holds true: PTD/TTD would still be available as-is, but a competitor could chose to run in PT5/TT5 using the current PTD/TTD rules for the first year also.

I realize it affects our fellow TTC competitors directly, my thoughts are:

1) Time to prepare car from rules release is shorter.

2) If we loop in both TTC and TTD, the logistical challenge (if any, from no. 1) is spread between 2 classes now.

3) Having the option to tweak/change in order to run TT5 is always great should and where the car is in development cycle. For some its easier (early cycle 2018 shift in). For others, it may take time (strip more/add power etc.).

Lutfy

• National Staff

PTD, PTE, and PTF are as they were last year.

ST5 (Yep, the name is ST5) rules are in review now.

Plan is still to delete PTC, but I don't have good news for the top prepped PTC cars (well, mostly the TTC cars since PTC had a pretty bad year last year). There are PTC/TTC cars that are going to slot straight into ST5/TT5 without any changes, but I think it will be clear that the top prepped cars are going to have to detune or ballast up. Obviously, if we are deleting two classes (eventually), and replacing with one, compromises have to be made. In this case, it was decided that it will be easier to detune or ballast a PTC/TTC car (or move to ST4 if impossible), than to have PTD/TTD cars try to find more power or less weight. There are a lot more PTD/TTD cars nationally than PTC/TTC as well, so the impact of changes will be less if they are made by the PTC/TTC crowd.

I'm not certain if we are going to stick with the PTD/TTD cars being able to use those rules in ST5 at this time (or maybe for a limited time). I think that almost all PTD/TTD cars will be able to move to ST5 using the ST5 rules. If not, then the car probably shouldn't be there. I especially do not expect this for COTA '18. I would expect that all ST5/TT5 cars will need to be 100% compliant with the ST5 rules at the Champs.

So when are we going to find out the hp:lb ratio for ST5? Need to see how much weight I'll need to add....

He posted in the other thread that the target date for rules is 11/29/17. I'm not sure if that includes st5 or not.

• National Staff

I fully expect that we will have all ST and PT Rules posted on Nov 29th. (TT rules are unchanged essentially except for the classing revisions in ST/PT. But, we have changed the formatting of the rules, so I'm not sure if they will be posted that day or not due to the editing required, and the need to wait until the ST and PT rules are final and just about to be published.)

Most of the competitors in TTC will have to add less than 750 lbs of ballast to be legal in TT5.

750lbs has to be a typo. Greg, can you confirm? That would put my C car 600 lbs over stock weight. That's not combining classes, that's throwing C in the garbage and just calling D ST5.

• National Staff

Most of the competitors in TTC will have to add less than 950 lbs of ballast to be legal in TT5.

Sorry. Typo fixed.

And exactly how much ballast is legal to add in the ST and PT series?

Its +5 for every 15 pounds past the listed max.

Why the eye roll? We are very serious here. This makes a huge difference to the cars.

A 750 lb add - that would require more than just adding ballast. I see adding ballast, new spring rates, possibly new sway bars, larger brakes, cooling - and for what? A car that sucks to drive? Might as well race in a different series at that point.

We need to see these rules. Is 11/29 real or more like one of Elon Musk's Tesla releases?

And exactly how much ballast is legal to add in the ST and PT series?

Its +5 for every 15 pounds past the listed max.

Why the eye roll? We are very serious here. This makes a huge difference to the cars.

A 750 lb add - that would require more than just adding ballast. I see adding ballast, new spring rates, possibly new sway bars, larger brakes, cooling - and for what? A car that sucks to drive? Might as well race in a different series at that point.

We need to see these rules. Is 11/29 real or more like one of Elon Musk's Tesla releases?

I think the roll eyes is because 750lbs was a typo since you can't have more then 250lbs ballast anyway.

Either way, we are all pretty serious and anxiously waiting on these rules so we can start out builds/tear downs for the winter.

• National Staff

750 lbs was a joke from the start.

Until the rules are approved, there is no way to calculate the number.

While this is ST5, it is more complicated than the higher classes, and will

actually be on a different set of rules to prevent confusion between the classes.

They are written to prep for ST6 in the future.

November 29th is a real target date that we expect to meet.

750 lbs was a joke from the start.

Until the rules are approved, there is no way to calculate the number.

While this is ST5, it is more complicated than the higher classes, and will

actually be on a different set of rules to prevent confusion between the classes.

They are written to prep for ST6 in the future.

November 29th is a real target date that we expect to meet.

Thx Greg. Anxious to see what the new rule set is.

• 2 weeks later...