dbrad

Towing with the 2015 F150 Twin Turbo V6?

dbrad

Went to local Ford dealer to try out a 2016 F250 for new tow rig (+ daily driver). The non diesel 6.2 liter came in at 385 HP and 405 torque. Also tried the 2015 Ford F150 V6 twin turbo since the F250 was such a rough ride. Was surprised to learn the V6 twin turbo came in a 420 lbs torque.

Anyone using the newer aluminum F150 with the V6 twin turbo - feedback would be appreciated.

SNAKBITN

They pull great with the low end tq but it doesn't handle a 24ft 10000lbs enclosed trailer very well.You will need a good sway control set up.Oh and 10 ply tires is a great help.

CRallo

Towed a TON of miles in a 2013 including a trip to Florida. Sway control isn't a big deal if your tongue weight is right. Use load levelers and get Timbren or similar devices and run higher tire pressure. 45ish is what i was running IIRC, it kept the tires running cooler and gave a more controlled ride. Tires would be a bonus. The truck towed great... best combo of both worlds. Power upgrade with a tuner. Towing milage is 8-9, but that pretty standard for gas.

Balroks

My 10k lbs 24' moves a bit even with a 3/4 and dist/sway control. So even if you got a fancy alum 24' with the lightest weight possible the 150 just doesn't have the size to handle the load at speed. But if your doing a 18ish foot or open trailer it'll do great I think.

kbrew8991
Towing milage is 8-9, but that pretty standard for gas.

for an enclosed I'm guessing? That's lower than most fwiw.

And if that's an open trailer, that's appalling. But good for the oil industry so I shouldn't complain....

Scott G.

I tow a 24' enclosed with a Ram 1/2 ton EcoDiesel. There's lots of comparisons between the EcoD and Ford's EcoBoost in various forums and there is some consensus:

EcoB has a lot more power than the EcoDiesel. Higher towing capacity (vs. EcoD) is primarily a product of that power. New standardized tow rating includes drag racing up a mountain pulling a trailer and the powerful EcoB does well. In terms of suspension and brakes, it's a very competent tow vehicle for trailers that would have been perceived as too heavy for a 1/2ton truck not long ago. Fuel mpg while towing, however, is disappointing.

The charm of the EcoDiesel is fabulous mpg both in DD use and towing. It's not something you'd want to pull 8000lbs over the Rockies tho.

dbrad

Thanks for the feedback. I bought the twin turbo eco boost V6 and will be making the initial pull with it next week to Roebling.

sonny

How did it tow for you?

I've been towing my 24' enclosed trailer with a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost (first year it came out) since I got the truck new off the dealership lot. I learned lots on my first trip towing to Kershaw from Lake Wylie. I found out the truck & trailer combo could definitely benefit from a load leveler -- which I quickly purchased & installed. Since the truck already had the tow package with the anti-sway built-in, I didn't install the anti-sway bar part of the load leveler.

Since then, I've towed to Roebling, Barber, VIR & all the other tracks we run in the SE without any issues except for blowing tires on the trailer from driving too fast. (I've even switched to multi-ply steel-belted trailer tires & if I go faster than 75mph for over 10 minutes, I'm looking for trouble.) Granted, I'm usually only towing the Thunder Roadster in the trailer -- lots lighter than your Mustang. But I've had my Boxster S in it down to RRR & Kershaw a number of times without issues.

I highly recommend getting a load leveler & make sure to get your tongue weight right. I usually center the car over the trailer tires with it slightly more towards the tongue so the trailer doesn't dance around at hwy speeds. You might be able to just get the car centered over the trailer wheels without having to move the car slightly forward as the Mustang is naturally nose heavy with that big hunk of iron at the front wheels.

Since getting it new, I've got over 35k towing miles on my EcoBoost F-150. MPG sucks but I find it more than does the job. Of course, if I ever went to a larger trailer, I'd have to get a bigger truck.

See you in a couple of weeks at CMP!

dbrad

Sonny - the truck did great. The torque was a pleasant surprise and pulled with ease. I installed a weight distributing hitch system (skipped the anti sway as well).

Was concerned with it being aluminum (i.e. lighter) there would be a greater impact from the air pockets caused by fast semi trucks/buses, but not a problem.

Went with the large screen for reverse monitoring. Got the fish eye option thus making backup to trailer a breeze. Also went with the 36 gallon gas tank (should come in handy for the Oct. event at NCM). Satellite radio was also a pleasant surprise (not having to change stations every 100 miles). Feel like I've left the stone age and living the good life.

Plus I have the added benefit of running the truck in HPDE as it gets along pretty good. Rumor has it there is a rev limiter at 110

Looking forward to CMP

427R

I picked up a new 2015 F150 XLT-FX4 3.5EB in July after my 2005 Expy starting having issues. Have only towed to MO since getting it, so this season it should get a good workout. So far I'm pretty pleased with it. Tows easily and that was #1 priority. Trailer, car & gear comes to just under 8K and the mpg is reasonable, coming in at 9, but that was well before its break in period. I expect it to do a little better once broken in. With the WD hitch I use 2 anti-sway bars, they all seem to do the trick pretty good. Got my eye on the Reese Straight Line WD w/Dual Cam High Performance Sway Control, if my current set up needs upgrading.

Scott G.

Here's an example of one of the bezillion comparisons between the Ford EcoBoost and the Ram EcoDiesel. http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-battlefield/10215-ecoboost-vs-eco-diesel-towing.html

They all say pretty much the same thing. The EcoB has lots more power. The EcoD gets much better mpg, particularly when towing. I've been towing a 24' ~7600lb trailer with my EcoB now for 2yrs. I get 13.5mpg towing, depending on how fast I'm pulling. The comparisons make it pretty clear that the EcoB would be getting <8mpg with the same trailer and same speed. So it all depends on what's important. Some folks really like the extra power and are willing to sacrifice mpg for it. I don't care about power. I don't think I've ever floored the throttle in the truck.

Lucid Moments
Here's an example of one of the bezillion comparisons between the Ford EcoBoost and the Ram EcoDiesel. http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-battlefield/10215-ecoboost-vs-eco-diesel-towing.html

They all say pretty much the same thing. The EcoB has lots more power. The EcoD gets much better mpg, particularly when towing. I've been towing a 24' ~7600lb trailer with my EcoB now for 2yrs. I get 13.5mpg towing, depending on how fast I'm pulling. The comparisons make it pretty clear that the EcoB would be getting <8mpg with the same trailer and same speed. So it all depends on what's important. Some folks really like the extra power and are willing to sacrifice mpg for it. I don't care about power. I don't think I've ever floored the throttle in the truck.

Can you maintain reasonable speed going up hills?