n80

What is the instructor clinic like?

n80

I'm thinking about signing up for the instructor clinic in January at Roebling Road and I'm just curious about what it is like. Is it mostly classroom? What are the track sessions like? Will I need a communicator set for the clinic? Thanks for any info or experiences.

raycr38

i hightly recommend it. I had a blast in the class. You get fun track time with and get to do crazy situations (which some have come true). I did mine with sunny at road atlanta a few years ago. The first thing we did was track time to have fun then class room session. Did some drills with 4 laps on the outside of track and then 4 inside of track to get comfortable on where your student can take you. Then class room session. A crazy drill on where you are giving a acting class where you ride with another instructor and they have to go by a script on how they drive. It could anything from one handed drivers with road rage to soccer moms on cell phones. you and your partner get a turn so whatever you do to them they are going to try to double it. Another class room and some more frun track time. We ended with a blind folded autox that went around the skid pad listening to your student tell you how to get around the cones. All in all its a blast and you will learn a whole lot and get plenty of track time in the process.

MikeAtl

+1, do it. Great time, met some great people, lotsa track time, Sonny was a great teacher, and you will learn a lot about yourself. Then do another one and get your national instructor certification. I did this last December (2014) and March (2015) at RA, had a blast, and really like instructing.

Mike

n80

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to do it. It will be my only chance this year. Unfortunately I have a commitment that Sunday afternoon so I probably will not be able to stay for the track day Saturday and Sunday. I'm assuming Sonny will be teaching? I'll be a little nervous because I've only run Roebling once. Might be hard to learn to instruct someone on a track I don't know all that well.

MikeAtl

You'll be fine. I did my first IC on a Friday and could not stay for the weekend. Its more about reading the "student" and effective communication.

Have fun,

Mike

kbrew8991

If you're unsure at all if you'll be ready after one clinic, wait and start instructing later. Rushing into it before you're ready or can confirm if you can do it well may not be the best route.

(KB, rushed it, and isn't a good instructor. Can coach though... )

n80

Well, I won't be instructing the same weekend I do the clinic. My first opportunity to actually instruct a real student as opposed to a 'fake' student during the clinic will be at CMP which is my home track so from a track standpoint I'll be comfortable instructing there.

getfast

Maybe it's different in SE but in other regions you have to stay and instruct all weekend after the clinic to actually pass the clinic...

Edit - even if it's not required, you should want to do it all on the same weekend so you can practice things you learned in the clinic with a real live student

n80
Maybe it's different in SE but in other regions you have to stay and instruct all weekend after the clinic to actually pass the clinic...

Edit - even if it's not required, you should want to do it all on the same weekend so you can practice things you learned in the clinic with a real live student

A friend of mine took the clinic at VIR last March with NASA MA and did not instruct that weekend and he still passed the clinic. But, I'll have to check with Sonny. That could throw a monkey wrench into my plans though since SE isn't offering another clinic this year and MA is doing their's at Summit Point which is too far away for me.

I could instruct the following Saturday. It is just Sunday that is the problem. If they did a Hyperdrive I could instruct the Hyperdrive student on Saturday morning.

I would also be able to instruct in February at CMP.

kbrew8991

if one is ready, sure... but yeah, maybe you should "fail" if you aren't ready and want/need to do another clinic level and/or repeat other levels before doing actual instruction.

getfast

What I'm saying is - just doing the clinic doesn't make you an instructor. Spending a bunch of weekends a year instructing is what makes you an instructor

n80

Well, I'm signed up and can't wait.

mavrck203

Signed up, do we use standard HPDE tech inspection form?

Emmanuel B.
Signed up, do we use standard HPDE tech inspection form?

Yes

sonny

What did y'all think of the Clinic?

Post your responses here or PM me. I want to do what I can to improve it to be the best it can be. I'm bummed the weather turned out to be as bad as it was. We had to forgo the Blind Driver Drill as a result. But at least it'll be something to look forward to for the Level II Clinic!

mavrck203

Really enjoyed the class, look forward to taking the second clinic. Learned a lot in the rain, better to be in the worst conditions during training rather than have a student for the first time in pouring rain. The shenanigan scenarios were fun and eye opening. Classroom delivery flowed well, Sonny has great platform skills...(shameless sucking up). Thanks for printing off the powerpoints!!!!!

Can't wait for CMP...hopefully a little warmer

UrbanKnight

Agree with the Above...

the bad weather actually made for some good "safe" ways to try some interesting things on the track at reduced speed.

I signed up for level II as well as I really enjoy right seating.

n80

Enjoyed it. Going to instruct for the first time at CMP next week. A little nervous, but looking forward to it. Hoping to get a first time student in a slow car.

Kim said he is no longer teaching DE 1 or 2 classroom. Anybody know who's teaching them now?

n80

Instructed for the first time this weekend at CMP. Other than the cold it was a great weekend. Thanks to Julie and crew for pairing me with a first time DE student in a similar (but much nicer) car than mine. Student's car was very well prepped. Student was a quick learner and before the end of the weekend was among the faster DE students. I'm looking forward to instructing again.

Sonny, thanks for the offer to lend me your communicator. I was going to use it later in the day on Sunday but ended up soloing my student for the last two sessions so I did not need it.