P/W ratio enforcement

iwannajag

I like the general simplicity of a P/W rule but some some questions on the power/weight ratio enforcement.

Do we have a dyno and scales at every race ? Does anyone know how to deal with the variable HP that modern ECU allows?

Dyno shows one HP reading, but the ECU can dynamically change the HP based on "conditions"? (alla VW pollution cheating)

That is true you could build modification maps based upon differential wheel speed, front to back, (or vehicle speed in general) to cheat the dyno test. But there is a provision in the rules for power compliance to be made by GPS and accelerometer measurements. Generally in the Midwest/Great Lakes region there are rarely dynos at the events and I would be surprised if at a regional event the data acquisition stuff were actually present.

Ryan

Outside of the Championships, dynos are rare in the Great Lakes, unfortunately. I saw an option to sign up for dyno certification runs on the Mid-O online registration, so we might see one. If there is suspicion that someone is cheating, anyone can put up a bond, and protest a car. It gets sealed, and then sent for dyno certification, so there is a mechanism for self-policing as well.

Yes, as mentioned above those are the methods used. We either keep the need for additional enforcement in check using data acquisition units. If after reviewing data we feel there might be issues, we impound cars, seal hoods, ECUs, ports, etc and then dyno them at a local shop later in the week.