Need Some Guidance

Apexdreamer45

Hello everyone, I'm looking at signing up for my first HPDE event with NASA at the end of April at Watkins Glen and have a couple questions. I come from a Karting and motorcycle roadracing backround. I will be utilizing a race prepped rental.

So, I'm a current NASA member. Is all I have to do is sign up and pay for the 1 day or 2 day block of track time? I understand more information will be sent out prior to the event, what does this information consist of? Do I need to submit any type of medical forms for HPDE events at some point or is medical clearance from a doctor only required for a competition license? I'm also confused as to the helmet requirements. Do I need an auto racing specific helmet or is my full faced motorycle helmet acceptable for HPDE as long as it meets the Snell ratings? I've read here in the forums where some say its acceptable and others say it will not pass tech? Lastly, being this is my first event, is it adviseable to only sign up for 1 day of track time? Is 2 days of track time too much to absorb?

Thank you for any information that can be sent my way, I'm sure I will have other questions. I tend to overthink things sometimes.

Welcome! You're pretty much spot-on. Just sign up and make sure you show up extra early. You will want to check with your local NASA Officials about getting the vehicle tech'd prior to the event (unless it has a 2016 Race Tech sticker already; should be good to go in that case). The information is typically any new information, schedule, parking map, etc etc. Medical Evaluation is only for Competition License. Your M-Rated Snell helmet is fine as long as it is in good shape and new enough (Rated 2010 and newer? 2005? Maybe?). My first two events I did one day each...actually, I did 1-day weekends for about 3 years until monies were plentiful and I was Racing and TTing at the same time.

Thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time to clear up my questions. My helmet is a 2015 so I should be ok in that area.

Looking forward to getting back on the track.

Welcome! Yes, just sign up, it's truly that easy. Then you will want to read the CCR (particularly the HPDE sections.) Your helmet and medical questions are answered in there. First link at https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules . Doesn't matter what some random person tells you on a forum, only what the rulebook says and/or what a NASA official tells you. So it's usually best/quickest just to ask the hosting region directly. You may also find good info on the hosting region's website on a HPDE page or FAQ page or similar. And yes, more info is typically posted and/or emailed to registered drivers as a particular event gets closer. But some details are track-specific so in this case emailing the Northeast folks will be the best way to get a correct answer.

Definitely do 2 days. Most NASA events are 2 days and many regions require HPDE1 drivers to do both days. We have found that you'll learn more and have more fun and end up going more quickly than you would in two single days separated by time, because each session builds on what you learned and practiced in the prior one. Pretty much everyone I've ever talked to who does one day wants to do the other anyway, because they're already there having a blast: "That was so fun, I don't want to leave!"

Hope it helps

John, thank you for the reply.

I was just wondering how things progress once you sign up. The CCR states the following regarding HPDE;

3.3 Program Overview and Intentions Most NASA regions host a wide variety of HPDE type events each year, with some regions hosting events year round. These events range in price and available space. Each region sets their own schedule, and their chosen format may vary slightly. However, it is the intent of all NASA regions to uniformly enforce the safety, eligibility, and personal conduct rules that are listed in all applicable publications (e.g. CCR, class rules, etc.). It should be noted that each region might have certain rules or restrictions that add to, or supersede, this publication. 3.4 Eligibility Requirements

Be at least 18 years old (16 or over with parental consent**). • Hold a current valid state driver’s license.** • Have use of an automobile that meets NASA’s technical requirements. • Hold a current membership with NASA, or a NASA sanctioned car club. • Have proper safety equipment, as per the CCR and applicable group or series rules. • Fully pay all applicable fees. • Have no outstanding debts with NASA or NASA’s affiliates. • Have knowledge of all of rules found in the Club Codes and Regulations, and fully agree to abide by them. • Must be deemed physically fit by their physician to participate in a high stress and physically demanding sport such as auto racing. • Sign all required waivers, and in particular the “gate waiver” before entering the facility. • Have their car teched before going on track.

This states that you do indeed need the medical release signed by your doctor, even to partake in HPDE. When do I take care of that? Do I wait until after I sign or is that something I take care of now and submit?

It seems getting a doctor appointment in my area takes a completely rediculous amount of time. I don't want to run into an issue farther down the road as the event gets closer and not get the propper forms completed and not be allowed to participate because I was not able to get in to see a doctor and complete the required forms.

Thanks for the help!

You need to ask your local NASA people about that but don't think that means a physical or documentation, just healthy. I remember reading too deep into the rules and was worried about everything at first. It all works out. Rules say that all competitors in racing are also supposed to have a NASA patch on their suit. Other than mine, I've never seen one. Just a process. I've only seen the following required:

Requirements

Membership in NASA or a NASA sanctioned club

Any car in safe operating condition (from Ferrari to Hyundai)

Mufflers. Different tracks have different sound policies

Roll bars in convertible autos

Seat belts in good working order

State driver's license

Long sleeve shirt and pants (cotton is great)

A helmet

Knowledge of the Club Codes and Regulations

At least 18 years of age (16 w/parental consent)

I only needed the physical when I was doing comp school right before achieving my license.

Rick, thank you for the reply. I've cleared things up with the region that I will be driving with. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that can read too much into things on occasion.

Thanks for the help.

Organizations like NASA thrive on new drivers coming out and turning into regular members. ....although I've never been to the NE, I'm sure they are like the other regions and make sure newbies have a great time!

This states that you do indeed need the medical release signed by your doctor, even to partake in HPDE.

If that were true I know of a lot of HPDEers that could not participate.

"Must be deemed physically fit by their physician to participate in a high stress and physically demanding sport such as auto racing"

Don't believe this means you have to provide evidence, just ask your Dr., if necessary.

"Must be deemed physically fit by their physician to participate in a high stress and physically demanding sport such as auto racing"

Don't believe this means you have to provide evidence, just ask your Dr., if necessary.

This....

For HPDE you don't need to provide documentation (that I have ever heard), but you still should be cleared medically. It's on you if you aren't.