Starting out

Davis Motorsports

Hello, my son and I are wanting to try out some some road racing, and I am an old school

Chassis builder, (drag racing chassis') and drag racer, he is 14 and currently races Our pro truck in the Florida pro truck series. I would like to build our own car. I see a lot of different classes that are available, we would be in the 400hp range, there seems to be a lot of classes, any suggestions ?

Thanks

I am in the same situation. But I am 60. Years of dirt sprint car racing. I settled on a c5 z06. I bought one with 21000 miles on it and ran 8 track days with it. I replaced the brakes. The tires had plenty of tread but lost their grip on the sixth track day. I didn't realize it at first though. I put a set of slicks on it and I was hooked on road racing. Sold that car for 88 dollars less than I paid for it. (25k) and bought a caged c5 with a blown motor and messed up body work. Just finished rebuilding the car over the winter. I have 30k in this car and many hours. I put an LS 6 with 425 rwhp in it and going to race it in the ST2 class as soon as I get my NASA competition license in the first week of May. That's a 3 day course and dirt car racing experience does not appear to give me any privileges. I think a drivers license is required. I watched several NASA races and I'm impressed with the way they run things. The rules are pretty favorable because using the HP to Weight calculation makes it possible to race what you got as long as its safe. Good Luck

My best advise is find your local NASA region and go to an event. There you can meet the folks and see how things work. One of the least fun things is racing in a class by yourself. Get the rule book and read it would be something you can do now.

Good luck and have fun

Where are you guys from? Plenty of NASA weekends around to go checkout. No cost to watch. Wander the pits and everyone is very happy to answer your questions. NASA Mid-South will be at the Corvette Museum Track in Bowling Green, KY the 18th - 20th. Stop on by.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with above. I race in a class with a bunch of mustangs but when we've traveled to some other regions NOBODY runs our class. W2W racing is a blast and the people in the paddock WILL help you.......but build for a class that is active where you will frequent. Start the HPDE process and if your truck racing experience helps......it will show and you'll be moved along at an appropriate pace.