Sign in to follow this  
driver14

Rotor Question

driver14

For the last 10 years of HPDE I've using basic, generic (read cheap) rotors from Centric, Pronto, AZ, Advance, etc. with no problems.

Opened the most recent purchase and found them to be drilled for multiple bolt patterns, having 9-10 holes instead of just the 5 I need. I'm sure that's fine on the street, but wondering about them on track. Extra holes creating extra weakness? How much heat actually gets up to the rotor hat? Anybody have experience with them? Any metal and/or brake experts out there?

For the front of a VW GLI with Carbotech XP12s.

Balroks

Sure the integrity is diminished the more holes there are esp if they are not spaced out evenly. If you were in a 911 or a heavy M3 with brembo's I would say yes you're more likely to see a failure however on the 1 piston calipers I remember from my GTI I never had the brake pressure to really push the rotor to the limit. Weight yes, heat yes, will they surface crack yes, but not likely split in half.

Lucid Moments

I know this is a little late, but keep in mind that the limiting factor on the forces applied is the traction of the tire. I know heat and expansion are other issues, but the main one is friction. Just a factor to keep in mind.

driver14

Must of had a brain freeze. Swapped pads and rotors last week, and the stock rotors are just like the new ones - 10 holes.