Wheelbase modification

pngu1nsnp

Hey guys, i have a question on some of the rules for the Ai series. I have read the pdf on the site but i need some clarification.

My intent is to build a 76 mustang ii for competition in the AI series. Being that the wheelbase on the mustang ii is 96" and the shortest allowed is 100" , i need to make some modifications. As stated in the rulebook all oem shock towers must remain in place, however i could only find that only the rear towers must be used.

I basically want and need some advice on if its possible to extend the wheelbase and if so, how i must go about it.

I know what your thinking "Eww a mustang ii? Why?" Lol. Plain and simple i love these cars and would like nothing more than to compete in one.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, i have a question on some of the rules for the Ai series. I have read the pdf on the site but i need some clarification.

My intent is to build a 76 mustang ii for competition in the AI series. Being that the wheelbase on the mustang ii is 96" and the shortest allowed is 100" , i need to make some modifications. As stated in the rulebook all oem shock towers must remain in place, however i could only find that only the rear towers must be used.

I basically want and need some advice on if its possible to extend the wheelbase and if so, how i must go about it.

I know what your thinking "Eww a mustang ii? Why?" Lol. Plain and simple i love these cars and would like nothing more than to compete in one.

Thanks in advance.

I might suggest you talk to your local series director to see if you can get an exception. I can't image there would be objections but heck what do I know

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. There are a few ways to extend it. Move the rear axle back, relocated axle mounts on leaf springs or longer control arms. The front can be extended by relocating control arm mounts, offset control arms, etc. 4" is a lot and will require fender enlargements. I am looking into the history and reasoning for the 100" rule. Al.

4. Eligible Manufacturers/Models/Configurations

a) All 1960 through present, American-made sedan vehicles/body styles certified by the United States Department of Transportation for street use at their date of manufacture. (OEM and aftermarket “Body in White” type vehicle shells are allowed provided the body style is the same as original DOT manufacture.)

b) 100-inch wheel base minimum.

c) Front engine.

d) Rear wheel drive

e) Solid rear axle or OEM independent rear suspension (IRS)*

* See Rule 6.1.3

f) No full tube frame chassis conversions will be allowed.*

*See Rule 7.3.3

g) Vehicle must retain its stock front clip, floorpan, and subframe, but certain modifications are allowed per the rules.

h) “OEM” for purposes of these rules is defined as Ford Motor Company, General Motors, or Chrysler Group LLC. OEM also includes tuner/racer package cars such as Shelby, Roush, Saleen, Hennesey,

FR500 and others provided the vehicle body meets the rules herein OEM does not include small volume specialty manufacturers such as Short Wheelbase (SWB) Thunderbirds where base vehicle bodies dimensionally differ from the final OEM product.

Per the rules the OE wheel base must be min of 100" as delivered from the factory. The intent of the series is to provide a series for 'mid-size' American sedans, similar to the trans-am cars of the 60's and not to include smaller 'compact' American cars. The 100" rule differentiates between the two. So the mid 70's mustang II cars would not be eligible. I might suggest choosing a different platform for American Iron.

Thanks, AL.

Build it anyway regardless of the wheelbase calc. and run it in Super Touring (ST). Depending on your ST class and region , you'd likely end up in the same race as the American Iron cars.