sperkins

Race qualifying suggestion / compromise

sperkins

Exiting the grid to a hot track seems to be the preferred method by most racers for some reason(s).

Is anyone open to the idea of no passing on the first timed hot lap without a point by?

Balroks

Isn't it pretty much adaptable each time? Sometimes half the field shows up late, but everyone tries to spread out which takes some laps. So if we waited it would just take longer to spread out i'd think. If it was grid'd by class maybe that'd make sense, but then people would end up racing each other lol.

sperkins
If it was grid'd by class maybe that'd make sense.

Now you're talking.

people would end up racing each other.

That's the problem that I see now. Some guys just treat it as another race.

Balroks
If it was grid'd by class maybe that'd make sense.

Now you're talking.

people would end up racing each other.

That's the problem that I see now. Some guys just treat it as another race.

That's what we did in TT, the 'sense' of it seemed to carry over. We don't get a full afternoon like regular motorsports so we tend to grid where we feel comfortable hope for the best. If you and I were in front/behind each other maybe we push each other, but more often we get distracted and focus on the bumper rather then the line.

sperkins

I think everyone agrees that the race group warm up session times should not count for anything regarding qualifying.

However, I think we should give thought to gridding qualifying based on class (fastest to slowest theoretical) and then random (or in order of registration like it's done in TT) within each class. Then the first timed lap with point by only. After that it can be a free for all, but at least that should give everyone a shot at a clean lap and still keep the field from getting so spread out.

This would also eliminate massive pit lane gridlock like we experienced at Rd Atl in December when all the racers were trying to get the first grid spot ultimately causing some cars to miss their session because grid was blocked.

TowDawg

When I've run with Great Lakes, they do qualifying like we do on Saturday, but Sunday qualifying is gridded according to your fastest lap in Saturday's race. It works REALLY well and at least avoids the "grid"lock on Sunday.

dbrad
When I've run with Great Lakes, they do qualifying like we do on Saturday, but Sunday qualifying is gridded according to your fastest lap in Saturday's race. It works REALLY well and at least avoids the "grid"lock on Sunday.

That's an interesting idea. Eliminate qualifying on Sunday and add that time to the race.

On the flip side for those that share a car on weekend (teams) and rotate qualifying and racing, would cut out track time for one of the team members.

Balroks

Eh, not sure how fair that would be because if a known fast car and driver had a mechanical failure on Saturday but had it fixed for Sunday they shouldn't be punished to the back of the grid if they're able to re-qualify well on Sunday. If we were to do that, however, would it eliminate the track time on Sunday. What we did sometimes in FL was run double races Sunday, where the first race was a qualifier for the 2nd race worth the points/conteng. So long as it's not 8am after the ...usual...Saturday post race activities I'm good lol.

sperkins
(SATURDAY) gridding qualifying based on class (fastest to slowest theoretical) and then random (or in order of registration like it's done in TT) within each class. Then the first timed lap with point by only. After that it can be a free for all,

This.

Sunday would be the same, but based on Saturday race lap times (per class still).

Is anyone else listening?

TWI
(SATURDAY) gridding qualifying based on class (fastest to slowest theoretical) and then random (or in order of registration like it's done in TT) within each class. Then the first timed lap with point by only. After that it can be a free for all,

This.

Sunday would be the same, but based on Saturday race lap times (per class still).

Is anyone else listening?

I agree Scott. Grid Saturday qualifying by class, and then within the class by registration time or prior race finishing position (another reward for making all of the races) or by registration date (like TT, a reward for registering early). Sunday, grid qualifying by Saturday finishing position, regardless of class. I think that is the cle

I like the idea of two races on Sunday, one "Qualifying" race gridded by Saturday finishing position and one Points race.

The 'free for all" is a significant detraction on the weekend. I got caught in the Lightning (SM/SE30) quagmire at Road Atlanta and could not get out of the pits and only got the last lap of Tornado qualifying in. There is room for improvement here that will make things better for the racers on the track and the racers in the pits.

sperkins

The 'free for all" is a significant detraction on the weekend. I got caught in the Lightning (SM/SE30) quagmire at Road Atlanta and could not get out of the pits and only got the last lap of Tornado qualifying in. There is room for improvement here that will make things better for the racers on the track and the racers in the pits.

It appears we aren't making any traction in this topic.

I'd like for those who are happy with the existing format to take a moment and state the reason(s) why. Maybe it's not broken after all??

jrmock

I like open grid for qualifying and heading out under the green flag. Just like racing, it requires a little bit of strategy and changing plans to adapt to the situation. Traffic management is crucial to getting in a fast lap, both in qualifying and in the race.

Yes, traffic management at the top of the hill before grid entrance needed improvement… but … the Lightening race group at Atlanta had 80+ cars… you know it’s going to be crowded getting on and off the grid. Be prepared, get there early, and be ready to go.

brkntrxn

Yes, traffic management at the top of the hill before grid entrance needed improvement… but … the Lightening race group at Atlanta had 80+ cars… you know it’s going to be crowded getting on and off the grid. Be prepared, get there early, and be ready to go.

And that is/was part of the problem with traffic management at the top of the hill. The race groups were showing up so early in order to "be first", they were blocking traffic flow for the groups that were actually headed to grid. I know, my wife and I were the ones who stepped in each time to help direct traffic.

-Kevin

sperkins
Just like racing, it requires a little bit of strategy and changing plans to adapt to the situation. Traffic management is crucial to getting in a fast lap.

The logical response to that is to point out that it's not a race, it's qualifying. Getting a fast lap is all that matters. Why create a situation where traffic management plays a role?

Balroks
Just like racing, it requires a little bit of strategy and changing plans to adapt to the situation. Traffic management is crucial to getting in a fast lap.

The logical response to that is to point out that it's not a race, it's qualifying. Getting a fast lap is all that matters. Why create a situation where traffic management plays a role?

Because that's just far too logical