Where drive FIA Westfield?

Torkel

Not sure where to put this Q, so moderators: please feel free to move it if it is better placed somewhere else.

I’m Swedish, living and racing here in Sweden. I’m contemplating a move to Charlotte, NC for a few years and thought I’d bring my racing car with me (and my dogs... and perhaps my wife). I’ve lived in the area before and I really like it. CMP is nice and I love VIR.

Racing! How could we possibly live without it? I drive a Westfield 7 with a Yamaha R1 engine (~530kg with me in it) on slick tires in a class called “Modsport” (for “Modified Sportscars”) here in Sweden. If my investigations on the interwebz are right, my car should fit best in NASA ST2.

But before I ship my track weapon over I have some Qs. I’d be much grateful if you guys could help me out:

- Can you confirm that NASA ST2 is the right class for my car? Or is there another class, where my car would better?

- FIA approval. Everything on the car is of course FIA-approved and not SFI. From the tank, to the fire extinguisher and the cage. Swapping to a SFI-appoved harness is no big deal, but the cage is FIA-homologated and that is harder to swap. Will my car be approved for racing in NASA with that equipment?

- The seat: The seat is just a simple plastic seat. We have an OK to run non-FIA approved seats in our cars, since they are so small no FIA-seat will fit. Will this be a problem?

- All of little me is of course also FIA-approved and not SFI-approved. Underwear, overall, helmet, hybrid neck protection, etc. Will I be looking at a complete new set of racing clothes? It’s not a show-stopper, but good to know.

- Will my car be welcomed at track days? Last I lived in NC I drove an almost stock Miata and that was of course welcome pretty much everywhere. Will it be possible to find track time outside the actual races with my little screaming and FIA-blessed Westy?

20160423_103950_zpseex9frkr.jpg

20160423_104006_zpsq2d8vzrj.jpg

Thank you in advance,

/Torkel.

Hi Torkel, that thing is super light! wow.. 1100lb? Im sure you have looked at the SU/ST1/ST2/ST3 rules, they are here: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/4272/2016_ST_and_SU_Official_Rules.pdf

ST is all power to weight, with some additions/deductions based on tire size, weight, etc. Unfortunately ST rules penalize severely light cars, if you notice the -2.0 deduction on page 9. Depending how much HP you make will determine what class you are in.

Super Unlimited (SU) = Any four wheel race car that passes NASA safety tech inspection can be used to compete in SU

Super Touring 1 (ST1) = “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” equal to, or greater than, 5.50:1

Super Touring 2 (ST2) = “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” equal to, or greater than, 8.00:1

Super Touring 3 (ST3) = “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” equal to, or greater than, 10.00:1

Good luck, and hope to see you out there.

Hi Johngeorge,

Thanks for your replay. Race weight is approx 1170lbs. Maybe a bit more, since I've added a little weight over the winter (on the car, not on me!). It is a skinny little car.

Yes, I noticed the penalty on page 9, but I also noticed a very nice little text below:

The following vehicles will not use the above tables if the vehicle Competition

Weight is less than 1800 lbs. The Competition Weight Modification Factor for these

vehicles shall be = -0.3:

Allison Legacy, Ariel Spec Atom (no aero), Baby Grand, Bauer L.P. Catfish,

Brunton Stalker, Caterham 7, Exomotive Exocet, Legends, Lotus 7,

MNR VortX RT, MNR GM 3, Pro Challenge, Thunder Roadster, Westfield Super 7

I used the XL-sheet on the Nasa webpage and ended up on 8.457 points -> ST2.

ST2 seems right for this car. Generally speaking everything FIA will be accepted. For example, you should not need to change your harnesses so long as their date is good.

The seat will need to be looked at by NASA tech.

Track time should be easy to come by. Tech for non-racing track days (HPDE) is not strict and usually requires neither SFI or FIA.

ST2 seems right for this car. Generally speaking everything FIA will be accepted. For example, you should not need to change your harnesses so long as their date is good.

The seat will need to be looked at by NASA tech.

Track time should be easy to come by. Tech for non-racing track days (HPDE) is not strict and usually requires neither SFI or FIA.

Good to hear! Thank you for your answer.