Sign in to follow this  
jackpilot

E46 M3 Convertible... can I HPDE?

jackpilot

Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 E46 M3 convertible and would love to get into HPDE.

After purchasing the vehicle and now looking into the rules it seems most or all tracks require roll bars. Does anyone have experience in this? If so, how would I best proceed in meeting these requirements?

Thank you for your time.

gobuffs
Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 E46 M3 convertible and would love to get into HPDE.

After purchasing the vehicle and now looking into the rules it seems most or all tracks require roll bars. Does anyone have experience in this? If so, how would I best proceed in meeting these requirements?

Thank you for your time.

Don't think any track requires a roll bar...groups might require additional safety equipment. I don't think NASA requires and additional safety equipment.

EricJo

Here are the HPDE rules:

"11.4.7 Roll Bars

All open cars should have a roll bar installed to help protect the occupant(s) from injury during a roll-over. The

main hoop shall be one continuous piece with smooth Mandrel bends with no evidence of crimping or wall

failure. All welds should be of the highest possible quality, with full penetration [Ref:(15.6.15)]. All cars with roll

bars are required to have adequate roll bar padding per CCR section #15.6.4. In cases where the driver’s head

may come in contact with the roll bar should the seatback fail, a seatback brace is required in conformance with

section #15.6.21. Acceptable roll bars include, but are not limited to, the following:

Hard Dog

AC - Ace

D - Deuce (center-braced model only)

AB - M1 Hard Core

TB – M1 Hard Core Hardtop

9B – M2 Hard Core

NB – M2 Hard Core

Auto Power

Street Roll Bar

Street-Sport Roll Bar

Race Roll Bar

Blackbird Fabworx (Miata / MX5 / 2017 Fiat 124)

SD (for NA and NB)

RZ (for NC and ND)

GT3 (for NA, NB, NC and ND)

The above roll bars are examples only. NASA does not endorse any brand or model and will not be held liable

for any failures of roll bars."

Page 29 here: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/282/2016.4.pdf

I have a '99 Miata. For my car an aftermarket roll bar is required.

Does an E46 M3 have any roll over protection?

i.e. my wife' G37 convertible has charged (explosive) rear headrests that deploy in the event of a roll over.

kbrew8991

E46 has pop-up bars IIRC and could be run as-is I believe. Check with mgt to be sure....