Ideas to widen brake pedal?

sydewaysix

I'm looking for ways to widen my brake pedal on a ProChallenge car. It is currently setup for left-foot braking only, but I would like to widen the pedal so that I can right-foot brake as well. The accelerator and brake pedals are nearly a foot apart and I would like to find a solution to bring the two closer together (towards the right side of the cockpit). If anyone has any recommendations on parts available and/or ideas to fabricate a solution I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Is it not possible to relocate the brake pedal and master setup to the right?

Alternately, I vaguely remember some sort of weird two-wide pedal setup in a Thunder Roadster that my brother used to own several years ago, which would allow left or right foot braking. Jim Pantas bought the car; see if you can contact him for some photos.

Mark

I believe Wilwood does make a dual brake pedal assembly, but I'm not sure whether it will require additional hardware or not. I'll see if there's space to relocate the MCs and pedal to shift them closer to the gas pedal as well. Thanks for the input.

If anyone else has any idea on fabrication please let me know. I'm sure I can somehow add an extension plate to the pedal, but my concern is how it will withstand the pressure of late braking if it will merely be "hanging" off to the right.

I'm not sure what you have for a brake pedal now; but, I wouldn't recommend a pad extension any more than an inch or so toward the gas pedal as a slight comfort adjustment. Anything longer will make the pedal twist when brakes are applied, which probably isn't something for which the pedal was designed. Some OEM pedals have a pretty sizable offset from the pushrod to the foot pad (an S197 Mustang is one example that comes to mind), although they were likely designed for that.

Check with Jim Pantas or other Thunder Roadster drivers about a dual, side-by-side brake pedal setup. I know I saw one somewhere in person.

And all braking should be late braking.

Mark

Mark, thanks for the feedback. I will need a lot more than a couple inches of extension if I go this route so it is likely not an option anymore. I'll see about a second pedal, but I will likely just learn how to drive it with the current configuration after realizing the actual distance between the two.

682DF9C5-B199-4FEF-9123-0B17C14325E8_zpswg0npcci.jpg

Yowza...those circle-track cars are apparently just not built for heel/toe braking. Get 'em in high gear, gas/brake/repeat. Never downshift.

I'm not sure how goofy or generally uncomfortable it might feel, but it might be easier to move the gas pedal to the left of the steering shaft, in order to be able to heel/toe. Your legs will be pointing left all the time, though. Maybe a combination of moving the brake pedal/master assembly right a couple of inches and moving the gas pedal left a couple of inches might be a decent compromise, as long as the steering shaft doesn't interfere with your right foot when going from pedal to pedal.

As for my own car, the brake pedal is centered under the steering shaft.

Mark

How hard would it be to move the existing pedal assembly to the right? I have a Wilwood pedal in my Nissan, and the pedal comes down about 1" away from the steering column. The factory pedal assembly had a huge bend in the pedal to get around the steering column, so it was some work to get the wilwood pedals in there.

I wound up moving the brake pedal as close to the column as I could, then modifying the gas pedal assembly to move it over about 4" to the left as well.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's not ideal, but is it possible to downshift without the clutch? If you can move the shifter into neutral as you let off the throttle, then blip the throttle, you should be able to downshift. Should be able to do all that while your left foot is on the brake.