weight ballast

captahole

I have to add 50 lbs of ballast and am looking for recommendations on how to mount the weight. It is a front wheel drive celica, So I assume the right rear would be the ideal spot. Does someone make a kit or do you go to a home welding supply store to buy the weight? Any help would be appreciated.

Erik

Weight lifting plates for the weight - can try secondhand stores to save money, still weighs the same after all. I used pieces of flat steel bar to make extra large backing plates (1" wide, 3/8" thick or so, then however long makes sense), then fender washers, then an additional hardened washer, then the bolts. Locknuts too and washers on that side also. Think about what could happen if one or more backing plates or bolts fail/tear out/whatever and plan for extras as backup that make sense. 50lbs is a big missle in a crash if it gets loose.

If you choose to do something like melt down lead wheel weights or whatnot be mindful of the fumes, vent thoroughly and don't breathe any of that crap in.

Location of ballast is pretty setup specific, may take a little experimentation. Think about z-axis also, not just x & y.

Be sure to refer to the CCR and/or your specific class rules for requirements for attaching ballast (size and grade of bolts, number of bolts per increment of weight, etc.).

Mark

• 9 months later...

I have a 1994 Celica GT - in the back of mine is bolted a humongous Truck Rotor

I have yet to have it on the track, but the p.o. was a NASA instructor so I presume it addresses your post.

Hope it is of some assistance

I have yet to have it on the track, but the p.o. was a NASA instructor so I presume it addresses your post.

To be totally honest, I would not make any sort of legality assumption based on a car's previous owner, even if it was an instructor.

Mark

To be totally honest, I would not make any sort of legality assumption based on a car's previous owner, even if it was an instructor.

Mark

Especially if it was an instructor!