Bridgestone / Hankook / BFG / Kumho / Dunlop

Sissyfoot

Hello! First time caller, long time listener. I have recently been cleared to compete in TT provisionally. For the past two seasons in HPDE, I've been using a set of Hankook RS-3 v2 tires. They've been nice and consistent, worn incredibly well and deal with heat over a session. But now they're pretty heat cycled out, even though they have miles of tread left.

I have lots of choices in 255/40-17. I used a couple sets of Bridgestone RE-11s, and I understand the RE-71R is a great tire. But how does it deal with a whole session? My experience with the 11 was that it didn't like heat and that it worked best when cold. I don't really want a one-lap tire.

I'd be interested to hear any experiences with the current crop of 200-ish treadwear tires, if anybody is willing to share. I'd also go a step or two higher, since I have 9 points free right now.

Thanks for your help!

It might be helpful to post some more information like what type of car you have and class you plan to be running in... The main question is if you are after to be competitive or just out for fun running in TT? That will help people try to answer your tire questions.

• 1 month later...
It might be helpful to post some more information like what type of car you have and class you plan to be running in... The main question is if you are after to be competitive or just out for fun running in TT? That will help people try to answer your tire questions.

This...but I'll give my input for my car.

I drive a 92 Civic hatch in TTF. I run 205/50/15s. The last street tire I had was the Kumho V720 on 15x7 Kosei K1s. It was a great street tire that held up to a full session. I did some trading and ended up with Yokohama AD08Rs wrapped around Enkei RPF-1s. Back-to-back events at Road Atlanta, one in June, one two weekends ago, I went from a 1:52.297 to a 1:51.999. Was it the tires? I honestly couldn't feel a difference between the two. Was it weather? I doubt it because I ran the 1:51 in the heat of the afternoon on a fading track. Did I get a little more brave? Possibly. Was it a combination of the three variables? Possibly.

When you read tire reviews, keep on mind they test them on a short auto-x course and not a full sized race track for upwards of 15-20 minutes. If tire X is .5 sec quicker than tire Y on a 30 second auto-x course, it doesn't always mean it'll be a full 2 seconds faster on a 2 minute track.

There are longer breaks between corners on a track though, so it's not always quite as bad as you'd think.

If you are leaving points on the table you're leaving alot of time on the table. Same with free mods. Get to work

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd come back here and revisit this thread with what I did and how I think it went.

Instead of a 'street' tire, I decided to go for an r-comp with some minimal tread. I was worried about being left on the sidelines for wet sessions, so I didn't want to go full Hoosier. I bought a set of the Toyo R888Rs.

In short, I regret my decision. I don't think these tires are better in any way than the Hankook RS3. They don't feel like they provide any more grip, and they get a little overheated near the end of a session just the same as the RS3.

I have another set of wheels now, so next season I'll get a set of R7s for dry and 'street' tires for the wet. I will likely trade some 'width' to get some of the points back in the trade. 225 R7s are almost as wide as 255 R888Rs.

I bought a set of the Toyo R888Rs.In short, I regret my decision. I don't think these tires are better in any way than the Hankook RS3. They don't feel like they provide any more grip, and they get a little overheated near the end of a session just the same as the RS3.I have another set of wheels now, so next season I'll get a set of R7s for dry and 'street' tires for the wet. I will likely trade some 'width' to get some of the points back in the trade. 225 R7s are almost as wide as 255 R888Rs.

Yea, haven't heard to many positive things about the 888's over the past couple of years. I moved to the Nitto NT01's my last year in DE4 and hung with them my 1st year in TT. Once they no longer provided the traction needed, I moved to the TOYO Proxes RR's, stayed with them for another year and then to Hoosier R7's. Still feeling the R7's out, but times are getting better as I become more educated/comfortable with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no experience with the 888's, but for sure the RE-71's are very fast street tires. All of the street tires are very fast. I have directly compared toyo RR's to street tires, and the difference is negligible.