Newbie...be gentle..

jrphillips85

Looking for opinions and personal thoughts. For someone that is getting into CMC racing. From a purely budgetary standpoint for a new person, which platform is better GM or Ford?

Looking for opinions and personal thoughts. For someone that is getting into CMC racing. From a purely budgetary standpoint for a new person, which platform is better GM or Ford?

First, welcome.

Second, ahem... http://cmc.nasaforums.com/

Third, www.aicmctexas.com --->will be good place to read up/ask questions about CMC

Fourth, why pick that fight on the first post?

Either is fine. Plenty of in-class discussion about which platform works best(er). Plenty to choose from and IMHO all can be driven to the podium.

I'm a Texas/4th Gen/GM guy. Browse aicmctexas, frrax, corner-carvers, etc.

I bought a race prep SN95 and found buying a finished car is WAY cheaper than building one. My opinion is that a Ford is cheaper than a Chevy to buy as a donor but the Ford takes more cash to turn into a competitive racer. However, I never owned a chevy so like most people, my opinion is biased. Either way it's still a relatively cheap platform to race.

What region would you be in? Some areas (TX, GL, MA) have good CMC representation while others have little to none.

• Members

It depends on how much you have to play with at the beginning.

Buying a decent build car at $0.20 on the dollar is the easiest way to get into racing, but you are stuck with whatever the car is from the guy who built/drove/wrecked/etc the car prior.

I enjoy the thought process/engineering/fabrication/building of the car, so I've been developing my FOX Mustang for about 12 years now... I could have easily bought a "better" car for less but for me, it's about the sweat equity in the car and seeing the improvements (car and driver) on the same tracks from 2004 to today..

CMC is more of a black/white and then the interpretation of "intent" of the rules. As an Engineer, I could never play in that sandbox. My head would explode. So, my brother runs CMC and I run AI.. Problem solved.

AI is for the builder/tinkerer (sp)/thinker/fabricator.

CMC cars will run anywhere from $5K to $20K depending on build/development/lineage

AI cars will rull anywhere from $10K to $120K depending on the same

Examples of Cars for Sale on the "less expensive" end of the spectrum

There is a CMC 4th Gen Camaro that is race ready and is currently listed at $6K negotiable.

http://www.aicmctexas.com/showthread.php?5469-93-Camaro-NASA-CMC-Race-Car-8000

There is a nicely built AI 4th Gen Camaro that is race ready and was on track last year.

I don't have a link for it, but I think he wanted about $12K.

There is a professionally built 2015 Mustang built by Kohr Motorsports (Nate Stacey's car) that is for sale ($98K, I think)... So you could go that route if the pockets are deep...

It depends on how much you have to play with at the beginning.

Buying a decent build car at $0.20 on the dollar is the easiest way to get into racing, but you are stuck with whatever the car is from the guy who built/drove/wrecked/etc the car prior.

I enjoy the thought process/engineering/fabrication/building of the car, so I've been developing my FOX Mustang for about 12 years now... I could have easily bought a "better" car for less but for me, it's about the sweat equity in the car and seeing the improvements (car and driver) on the same tracks from 2004 to today..

CMC is more of a black/white and then the interpretation of "intent" of the rules. As an Engineer, I could never play in that sandbox. My head would explode. So, my brother runs CMC and I run AI.. Problem solved.

AI is for the builder/tinkerer (sp)/thinker/fabricator.

CMC cars will run anywhere from $5K to $20K depending on build/development/lineage

AI cars will rull anywhere from $10K to $120K depending on the same

Examples of Cars for Sale on the "less expensive" end of the spectrum

There is a CMC 4th Gen Camaro that is race ready and is currently listed at $6K negotiable.

http://www.aicmctexas.com/showthread.php?5469-93-Camaro-NASA-CMC-Race-Car-8000

There is a nicely built AI 4th Gen Camaro that is race ready and was on track last year.

I don't have a link for it, but I think he wanted about $12K.

There is a professionally built 2015 Mustang built by Kohr Motorsports (Nate Stacey's car) that is for sale ($98K, I think)... So you could go that route if the pockets are deep...

I have two one for 55k ish 2005 Mustang with modern Coyote motor, and a 2013 80k ish with everything you would ever want in an AI car. Ran with the leaders at Nationals this year.