2016 RCR's for the 2017 rulebook...

Al Watson

And here's my $.02 on some of the AI RCR's as a former AI competitor and legendary AI troublemaker:

RCR-AI-093016 dyno procedure change - ignore power below 3000, turbo cars make high/max tq very low, 2000rpm or so and this is not in the typical rpm range seen on track.

Having spent 4 years tuning and working on the turbo Subaru WRX STi's in Grand Am GS (and struggling to meet Grand Am's stringent, constantly monitored requirements), I can tell you that this problem is FAR more complicated then it's being portrayed. It's not a simple control system resonance. It's not a dyno-only event. It's not a low-rpm only event. It's not just dependent on how you tip in. It's not easy to control, and it's very easy to make it act differently in dyno vs. track conditions. I don't want to see turbo cars outlawed, but it's going to take more than a simple RPM clip to properly police it.

RCR-AI-100616d clarify track width language to include 'tire buldge'

It's pretty clear how it is to be measured. Is it possible to measure it using that method and not include tire bulge?

RCR-AI-100716a log max throttle angle via ecu for compliance dyno

Pointless. You'd have to monitor the entire throttle angle vs. RPM curve (yeah, it isn't a fixed value) and you could easily get around it by changing the TPS calibrations.

RCR-AI-102716 change eligible years to 1960-2014, exclude 2015 up

Seems like a good way to sentence your class to a slow death. The 2005+ Mustang was supposed to make every other AI car obsolete. It didn't and neither will the 2015.

RCR-all-102116a seal computer, ecu, obdii, elect ports, SI/AI.

Disagree. Pointless. Look at a wiring diagram for these cars. The wires needed to do a reflash run all over the car, to various different modules, and through a number of intermediate connectors between the ports and the modules. This will not stop anyone from doing anything.

Yeah, the lack of creativity from the perspective of a cheater's mind when people come up with these rules is kind of a bummer. Funny story from way back in the start of computer controlled cars (I don't know the series): In order to check the programming on the computer, you had to remove it from the car and hook it up to some machine. After tech was done and fully passed, the driver got back in the car and drove it back to the pits. Unfortunately, his computer was still in the machine. The computer in the stock position, hooked up to the stock looking wiring wasn't the computer controlling the car...

Richard P.

• Members
RCR-all-102116a seal computer, ecu, obdii, elect ports, SI/AI.

Disagree. Pointless. Look at a wiring diagram for these cars. The wires needed to do a reflash run all over the car, to various different modules, and through a number of intermediate connectors between the ports and the modules. This will not stop anyone from doing anything.

Yeah, the lack of creativity from the perspective of a cheater's mind when people come up with these rules is kind of a bummer. Funny story from way back in the start of computer controlled cars (I don't know the series): In order to check the programming on the computer, you had to remove it from the car and hook it up to some machine. After tech was done and fully passed, the driver got back in the car and drove it back to the pits. Unfortunately, his computer was still in the machine. The computer in the stock position, hooked up to the stock looking wiring wasn't the computer controlling the car...

Richard P.

Richard P.

That sure sounds like someone took liberties with the old Smokey Yunick "drove away with the gas tank still on the tech's bench" story. I dig it.

• 2 weeks later...

The value of removing the spare tire well without installing a fuel cell would be all aero by allowing you to build a decent rear diffuser in cars with saddle tanks like the S197. You could still do it per the rules as is but would have to buy an expensive wedge shaped fuel cell and then perform quite a bit of fab. This rule would make rear diffusers cheaper to install for those cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, Sorry for the delay, NasaHQ has the 2017 rules and will post soon, however many have been asking when and what changes in order to prep for the up coming season so here are the changes for 2017:

Spec iron

Open tune allowed:

1. ECU tuning is permitted

Dyno paperwork enforcement:

1. All SI participants must have a dynamometer certification report(s) prior to the start of the race or make arrangements to have a dyno test performed immediately after the race. Certification reports can be valid for an entire season provided that NO PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS are performed to the car. If more than one tune/setup is used each will require its own dynamometer certification report. Dyno test must be performed prior to first race entered for the season and after the last race entered from the previous season. Any SI competitor wishing to race without a Dyno Certification will be required to compete in American Iron Extreme (AIX).

The dynamometer certification report will consist of TWO PARTS: a completed SI DYNO SPEC SHEET and DYNO READOUT GRAPHS. These forms must be kept with the vehicle's logbook and be ready to present to any official. The SI Dyno Spec Sheet includes instructions for performing the official dynamometer inspection, which must be followed in order for the dyno report to be VALID. The Dyno Spec Sheet is available in the Appendix of these rules. Any SI competitor without a VALID DYNO CERTIFICATION is subject to DISQUALIFICATION or be required to compete in American Iron Extreme (AIX).

Dyno runs must start below peak torque and end after max hp:

1. Three consecutive runs shall be made under full power. The RPM range shall be consistent for all three runs. Starting RPM shall be clearly below peak torque and no higher than 2500. Ending RPM shall be clearly beyond max horsepower.

American iron

Restrictors:

1. The only devices permitted to restrict engine power are the following: Electronic tuning, restrictor plates or throttle stops. Any other restrictor must be approved per section 8.7 non conforming equipment. All restriction devices must be documented on the dynamometer specification sheet as to their software file name, size, shape and/or settings. Taping up air boxes or air filters is not permitted.

Dyno paperwork enforcement:

1. All American Iron participants must have a dynamometer certification report(s) prior to the start of the race or make arrangements to have a dyno test performed immediately after the race. Certification reports can be valid for an entire season provided that NO PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS are performed to the car. If more than one tune/setup is used each will require its own dynamometer certification report. Dyno test must be performed prior to first race entered for the season and after the last race entered from the previous season. Any AI competitor wishing to race without a Dyno Certification will be required to compete in American Iron Extreme (AIX).

The dynamometer certification report will consist of TWO PARTS: a completed AI DYNO SPEC SHEET and DYNO READOUT GRAPHS. These forms must be kept with the vehicle's logbook and be ready to present to any official. The AI Dyno Spec Sheet includes instructions for performing the official dynamometer inspection, which MUST be followed in order for the dyno report to be VALID. Any restriction device placed in the air intake system (or method to restrict power) must be clearly identified as such and marked to indicate its dimensions. The Dyno Spec Sheet is available on the AI website and in the Appendix of the rules. Any AI competitor without a VALID DYNO CERTIFICATION is subject to DISQUALIFICATION or be required to compete in American Iron Extreme (AIX).

Dyno runs must start below peak torque and end after max hp:

1. Three consecutive runs shall be made under full power. The RPM range shall be consistent for all three runs. Starting RPM shall be clearly below peak torque and no higher than 2500. Ending RPM shall be clearly beyond max horsepower.

American iron extreme

No Changes

Thanks...........

The value of removing the spare tire well without installing a fuel cell would be all aero by allowing you to build a decent rear diffuser in cars with saddle tanks like the S197. You could still do it per the rules as is but would have to buy an expensive wedge shaped fuel cell and then perform quite a bit of fab. This rule would make rear diffusers cheaper to install for those cars.

I'd be extremely concerned about making it too steep to quick, especially since flat bottoms are prohibited, and it has to start just behind the rear axle.

I'd be extremely concerned about making it too steep to quick, especially since flat bottoms are prohibited, and it has to start just behind the rear axle.

Creativity will go a long ways, both of my S197 cars have a rear diffuser ' ish device to prevent air getting into the inside of the bummer. One has a fuel cell and trunk floor removed, the other is full stock trunk floor. I am by no means a good fabricator and it wasn't that hard to build, think I have less than 200 bucks of material in it.

Creativity will go a long ways, both of my S197 cars have a rear diffuser ' ish device to prevent air getting into the inside of the bummer. One has a fuel cell and trunk floor removed, the other is full stock trunk floor. I am by no means a good fabricator and it wasn't that hard to build, think I have less than 200 bucks of material in it.

For the love of F1, post pics! I need a diffuser.

Sorry I missed the RCR discussion. I agree with you Mark. Glad we aren't reinventing the wheel. Also, where was all the contact? Can we get some video? Other than Pat trying to kill me last year and Dennis taking off my beloved "FR500S" logo'd RH mirror BEFORE the start of last race, we haven't had much issue in AI here.