Proposed 2017 changes for H4

H4CRXSi

Here are the changes we are proposing for H4 in 2017:

- Any Honda/Acura chassis listed in the current H4 rules will now be permitted to install a B18A/B engine & transmission swap and compete at the Intergra weight of 2500lbs. With this swap, all transmission gearing must remain stock for a B18A or B18B transmission. Also, if this swap is installed, a competitor may also upgrade to Integra front knuckles and front brakes (10.3" rotor & caliper). All items needed to perform this swap, including mount kits, cable-to-hydro transmission conversion kits, jumper harnesses, etc. will be permitted.

We will remove the allowance for aftermarket ECU's in the interest of reverting to a simpler time when tuning simply meant setting the best ignition timing and fuel pressure point and calling it good. This should be a significant cost savings measure for the class competitors. The ECU must remain unmodified. ECU jumper harnesses will still be permitted to allow adaptation to the car's chassis harness.

- Shocks will be limited to double adjustable with NO allowance for remote canister/reservoir and the shocks must have a maximum RETAIL value of $4000.

The philosophy behind the changes to the H4 class is to make it THE entry level class to be in for any Honda/Acura racer out there. By limiting items such as shocks and ECU"s, the goal is get the new competitors on track and racing at our events and spending their hard earned $$ on seat time, not on spending every last penny to maximize their car's potential.

See you all at the track!

Regards,

Sam

i propose a SPEC shock for the class......like a PIC and get them on board to offer suspension to a HC competitor for 950. This would even make the class cheaper!

i propose a SPEC shock for the class......like a PIC and get them on board to offer suspension to a HC competitor for 950. This would even make the class cheaper!

Good idea if everyone is building from scratch but keep in mind for a l ot of cases the cars are already built, just doing a motor swap, so having to buy a spec suspension is actually a cost increase.

How do you even regulate retail value of shocks... what if I buy 1000 dollar run of the mill taiwanese made pieces of crap and have like, multimatic type stuff put in and hours and hours of paid research and development. Retail value is still $1000 but to replicate them would cost like ten grand?

I'm curious why the H4 Class needs another engine swap to include a B18A/B? Were those car only available from Honda with a B16 or something smaller? Or do they only have non vtech motors?

I'm not in H4 but have had a few people ask about H4 in the southeast. We only have H1 and H2 cars now, maybe back in the day they started as H4. I've always recommended they build the car to H2 specs and have fun.

• Members
I'm curious why the H4 Class needs another engine swap to include a B18A/B?

Because the majority of cars in H4 are running D-series engines.

Finding a used D-series engine that is in good condition and not beat to shit is getting really hard. If you are lucky enough to find one in good shape they're actually pretty expensive (relative to the amount of performance you get out of the engine in comparison to a B20, B16a or B18c).

Opening the engine choice up will give competitors another, hopefully more plentiful and affordable option.

This other thing that this allows is for cars like the '96-'00 Civic hatch, which never came with the D16Y8 motor that the '96-'00 Coupe & Sedan came with in the EX trim package, the ability to swap in a B18B and be competitive in H4.

Hello H4CRXSi,

I'm very interested in this type of build for H4. When will this be confirm for 2017?

Thanks

We are working diligently to have the 2017 HC Rules published by Thanksgiving and the new allowances for the H4 class will be a part of this rules release.

Regards,

Sam

so whats the horsepower caps for H4 since H2 has them, cause in the current rules for H4 like H2(minus running stock ecu) you can deck the head to gain comp., bore over .040, do a valve angle job, port match 1" in for the intake manifold/head, adjustable cam gears, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and run a piggy back, adjust ignition timing, intake, header, full exhaust, etc..., which all make power

This would be kind of unfair for H2 to be the only one with a horsepower cap. I can see H1 being the only ones without a cap.

Sorry thought you might want to consider this or rewrite the allowance permitted in H4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Why are we going back to the H2 cap? And what that has anything to do with h4?. The cap cap works to equalize the field. H4 works good without it. So let's cap h4 but take tuning and ecu from H2 to make it fair. And while we are at it let's take unlimited brakes from H2 since h4 runs stock calipers. C'mon guys , really stop the complaining.

• 2 weeks later...

H4 will not be going to HP caps... the current rule set promotes class parity and equalizes the field just fine without them.

IF a time comes when changes/updates are needed to ensure class parity, the Rules Committee will address the needs of the H4 class at that time.

Regards,

Sam Myers

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, long time since I've been in the HC forums, but this is looking interesting. If I have an H2 car with lexan and carbon, as long as I weight 2500 and have a stock b18 and stock engine management am I good to go?

Hey Mike, great to see you interested in HC again! Unfortunately the H4 rules, as currently written, do not allow for lexan or carbon fiber body panels. We are trying to promote H4 as an "entry level" class and by keeping the costs down we hope to make H4 the destination for all HPDE/TT Honda/Acura drivers who are looking to go wheel-to-wheel racing.

Can you easily remove the lexan and carbon fiber panels, reinstall some OEM replacement glass and body panels, add in a B18B engine & transmission swap and come race with us?

Hoping to see you at the track soon!

Regards,

Sam

AWWW! The hood is easy enough but the lexan is a PITA! As long as I am at weight what does it really matter? If the class has as many cars as I bet we will see I guess it will be worth it. But as it sits it is ready to go for H2 so any extra work may influence me to keep it there.

All my complaining aside I really REALLY like the new H4 idea. IMO HC dwindled partially due to cost. Of course not sure if the Honda community will accept a B swapped prelude.

• 4 weeks later...