2017 rule proposal-get rid of cc limit for gts4-U

mcdonaldsracing

I am proposing getting rid of the cc limit in GTS4-U. I can see the reason of implementing the cc limits in GTS1-3 (although I don't agree it either), but why should there be any limit on motor size once you get to 4 or higher? If a cup car is allowed to run in 4, then why shouldn't any motor from the other German manufacturers be allowed to run against it? I mean, let's face it, if you're wanting to run competitively in 4, then you're spending a lot of money either on a "built" motor, widebody, slicks, or any combination of them. So, why should be illegal to swap in a bigger motor (that you can find cheap replacements of) rather than having to stroke out a smaller motor or swap in, say an s65 that just fits within the current rule set? Little background on me...I swapped a 14 year old s62 v8 into my e46 and have been forced into a basically non-existent class, GTS5. My motor makes less hp and has a 1k lower rev limit than a GTS4 legal s65 or a cup car's motor, yet my car is the illegal one. That makes no sense? Other than the s62, what other motors would fall into that category? That's a serious question If the intention of the cc limit was to limit detuning, then I wouldn't have to detune at all to run GTS4 if I stayed at the weight I ran in ST3 this past year. I would have to make 374-375hp to be maximized for GTS4, whereas without any kind of performance tune my motor would put down 350-360. I just think that by the time you get to gts4-U power levels cc limits shouldn't matter. You have factory built Porsche motors and stock BMW s65's that have to be detuned, or "built" smaller motors that cost a shit load to build and maintain, so who really cares what displacement your motor has once you've reached gts4 power levels?

John Huebner

ST3

Edited by Guest

Porsche 928 (barely makes 300hp for a good one without a $20k+ stroker)

Porsche Panamera or Cayenne (never seen one on track other than HPDE)

BMW E6x M5/M6 S85 (I know a fully prepped car that could run GTSU, but the owner never intends to go beyond HPDE)

BMW M62 (horrible choice of a race engine, similar but worse power issue to S62 and less upgrade options)

BMW S63 or other 4L+ turbo motors are the only ones I could see being a potential issue.

There are some Audi and Mercedes engines, but those never show up as race cars.