Glenn

New CCR Rule for Texas Only for 2017

Glenn

Copied from the Texas AI / CMC Forums.

Wondering how folks feel about this.

5. Effective June 1, 2017; All Racers are required to run at least one forward facing video camera that is operational and practical that records in digital format immediately viewable in windows media player. All cars must record every session including practice, qualifying, and races. NASA Race Directors will use footage as necessary. Drivers may retain video for personal use only under limited license. Posting videos online for non-commercial use is permissible. Lack of available video when requested may result in a fine and/or loss of track time. This is not applicable to Time Trial.

Alan_Wolfe

Not crazy about having to record practice and qualy.

Think its a Great idea to have all racers recording all races.

Glenn
Not crazy about having to record practice and qualy.

Think its a Great idea to have all racers recording all races.

So you are ok with a fine or loss of track time as a result of not having video of contact that did or didn't involve you?

kbrew8991

Why does NASA own/hold license to the video that a competitor shoots? Just curious on that one.

From the officials side this would be great, you'd have ample opportunity to get various angles and get a better sense of what happened so that your call is more accurate and more fair.

As a competitor its one more thing to manage and make sure before you hop in the car now that it's mandatory (versus optional before). Increased stress and such, little bit of downside there. The increased accuracy and fairness of calls from the officials is good however.

denniscox
Why does NASA own/hold license to the video that a competitor shoots? Just curious on that one.

From the officials side this would be great, you'd have ample opportunity to get various angles and get a better sense of what happened so that your call is more accurate and more fair.

As a competitor its one more thing to manage and make sure before you hop in the car now that it's mandatory (versus optional before). Increased stress and such, little bit of downside there. The increased accuracy and fairness of calls from the officials is good however.

I agree with what you said. Great that officials get as many angles as possible. Don't mind the mandatory but I do wonder why they own the license of the video?

Glenn

So your ok getting a penalty for not having video due to battery failure, file corruption, or the many other failures of the equipment? What about just not remembering to turn it on? Or forgetting to turn it off post race and killing the batterys?

I agree having video is a good thing. Issuing penalties for not having it, no matter the reason, is bs.

kbrew8991

if it was called that harshly that you're missing races and getting fined for a minor unintentional one time oversight (forgot), or failure outside of your control like you mentioned, that would suck. Alot.

How harshly should racers expect this to be called in real life though?

Glenn
if it was called that harshly that you're missing races and getting fined for a minor unintentional one time oversight (forgot), or failure outside of your control like you mentioned, that would suck. Alot.

How harshly should racers expect this to be called in real life though?

The rule is written. I would expect it to be enforced as written.

EricJo

"As far and as much as I can remember this is simply to keep 1) Really gruesome stuff from wrecks from circling which IMO is good practice and 2) Full on commercial usage without NASA consent, which I believe is standard practice in any business."

from here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518896671475725/

richiebosco

I feel this is a step in the right direction.

I record all of it anyways.

Rich Bosco - BMW e36 M3 #63 Texas Track Works.

marshall_mosty

I'm working with Will to put out a revised supplement that details the application and enforcement of the new rule.

Stay tuned!

Hastarock

Needs some tweaking, but overall an excellent plan.

After all, what incident could happen in a race that couldn't happen in warmup or quali?