Greg, Can I get a classing for 2017 Mini Cooper S

Revolution Mini

and a Mini Cooper JCW. Looking to see which class they are in and what points are available for each.

Thank you!

the 2017 Mini Cooper is NOT on there........it has a 2.0L engine also

I'm looking for both classifications

thanks

yes, we emailed over a week ago. Just finally got a response this morning. It's strange you HAVE TO TUNE THE CAR to get into a base class????? Is this a first?

• National Staff

What he means is it is classed into TT4 (or higher).

The twin screws on this vehicle give it too much power for a C/C*/C** base class with just a reflash.

I think you have been massively tricked by BMW marketing........it's a TWIN SCROLL ..............SINGLE TURBO

Greg can you please explain this to me? Thanks...

a new GTi will trap 110mph with just a reflash on the ecu yet it gets a Class of TTE**

The GTi both new and old far exceeds the HP to weight ratio for TTC with just a tune (as will a solstice GXP). In fact a lot of cars do that are legal for TTC. Most S2000's will with just a couple basic bolt ons (let alone guys getting serious and decking the head and doing fancy valve jobs). Hell a ND miata can get close with light mods. A lot of these cars simply have no shot based on HP to weight even with the modifiers. The Mini even built all the way to grand am ST specs (which far exceed what could be made on points unless it was TTF base) just barely run TTC times as TTC cars run about the same as grand am ST cars on most tracks. It's a sad shame because when they go power to weight entirely these boxy hatch backs will get crushed by low CG mid engine cars with far superior suspension geometries. 10 or 20 hp more in a modifier isn't going to cut it in the higher hp cars. A 500whp FWD VW golf won't run the times a 350whp 911 GT3 will.

A great example will be look at sebring times for Grand Am ST next week. The TTC record was just reset by one of the S2000's that gone all the way on a build but has not Dyno'd. It was reset in VERY cold weather , but the old record was in hot weather on R6's not R7's and less then a 1/10th slower. SOOOO watch the Grand Am ST times next week and see how close they are. Last year Pole was nearly identical to the TTC record.

I thought the whole point was to make it fair for all cars to have a chance?

Didn't like 3 TTC cars show up for Nationals last year?

If i had to take a guess, the only information Greg probably has on these vehicles is whats published online and/or from the manufacturer, and you may be the first asking for a classing for these vehicles since neither are listed in the rules, thus his response whatever it was. Getting a dyno done may benefit you, but YMMV.

like Mrsideways said, some cars get lower base classings but respond to modifications very well, thus increasing their final classing and performance, some are the opposite. TT/PT/ST is choosing a car and building it and finding out what works, what doesn't. At the end of the day, every car in every class has an equal chance of taking a podium spot, its how well the driver can drive and how the car is prepped/built (parts/suspension/etc) is what makes the difference.

another guess here, but between Greg's career, the dozens if not hundreds of emails he receives daily/weekly (between work and NASA related items/issues/classing questions), it does take time for him to respond. He is not trying to ignore you, but he has given you a suggestion on what to do.

• National Staff

Actually, I don't respond to bumps everyday, and I also don't argue about classing decisions. Whether another vehicle should be classed higher or not has little to do with the classing of any other vehicle. I do personally know that the GTI is nowhere close to the Mini, but the GTI classing has nothing to do with the classing of the Mini. These cars will be optimized in TT4/ST4. And, since classing is changing next year for the rest of the classes, we are not going to add any cars that are possibly borderline to TTC (or TTD).

• 3 months later...

The problem is simple, the S2000 is way under rated. that's why 50% of the cars in TTC are S2000's. that's why only one TTB car was faster then the two TTC cars at the nationals last year. they'll need to be tuned down to make the 14.5:1 this year. Base car classifications should be reviewed and adjusted based on performance throughout the country. it would be fairer to bump up the S2000's base class rather then force everyone who running TTC to buy one "which is what has happened".