Spec Racer Ford for TT4 rules questions

Tansar_Motorsports

Hi All,

Looking at the "non-production" rules for TT4, I see that the gen1 and gen2 spec racer ford prototypes are approved for TT4, but the gen3 cars are only approved for TT3 or higher. For both, no mention of "additional aero mods" is made in the rules, unlike some of the other non-production vehicles listed.

I have a few questions.

1. If using a gen2 car, taking the 0.6 model specific mod factor, am I able to also take the "OEM aero" mod factor if I make no aero changes? If I don't take the oem aero factor, can I make additional aero mods to the car (wing, splitter)?

2. May I use any engine / engine mods in order to hit my power target, or do I have to use an original, unmodified gen2 SRF motor?

3. If "yes" to #2 above, then why do the gen2 and gen3 cars have different classifications? The only real difference is the engine. Chassis/aero are identical.

4. Can additional tubing be welded into the space frame of the car? This would serve multiple purposes (safety increase, stiffness increase, weight increase).

Thanks for the help!

• National Staff
Hi All,

Looking at the "non-production" rules for TT4, I see that the gen1 and gen2 spec racer ford prototypes are approved for TT4, but the gen3 cars are only approved for TT3 or higher. For both, no mention of "additional aero mods" is made in the rules, unlike some of the other non-production vehicles listed.

I have a few questions.

1. If using a gen2 car, taking the 0.6 model specific mod factor, am I able to also take the "OEM aero" mod factor if I make no aero changes? If I don't take the oem aero factor, can I make additional aero mods to the car (wing, splitter)?

2. May I use any engine / engine mods in order to hit my power target, or do I have to use an original, unmodified gen2 SRF motor?

3. If "yes" to #2 above, then why do the gen2 and gen3 cars have different classifications? The only real difference is the engine. Chassis/aero are identical.

4. Can additional tubing be welded into the space frame of the car? This would serve multiple purposes (safety increase, stiffness increase, weight increase).

Thanks for the help!

"The following vehicles are approved to use “Production” vehicle status in TT1, TT2, TT3, and TT4 provided that the frame/chassis, body/aero remain in the original manufactured configuration as specified by the manufacturer. The “Chassis” Modification Factors and the “Production Vehicle Body” Modification Factors shall not be assessed, but the vehicle specific Modification Factor listed below for each model will apply:"

Spec Racer Ford (1st & 2nd Gen.) = -0.6 (TT3 & 4 approved with this Modification Factor only)

1) No. OEM Aero is a Production Vehicle Mod Factor

2) Engine mods can be made.

3) If the chassis and Aero are identical for 2nd and 3rd Gen SRF's, then we have an error in the rules, and the Second Gen should be listed with the third Gen, and not the 1st Gen (-1.0 in TT3, not TT4).

4) No additional tubing as in the statement above.

Thanks Greg.

So no aero mod factor and no additional aero modifications.

Regarding gen 1,2,3: from my research, the chassis and bodywork/aero have remained unchanged for all generations. Gen 1 used a Renault engine, gen 2 and 3 have used ford engines.

The transmission may have also changed from gen 1 to 2.

Based on this, all three cars should be the same in the eyes of the tt/st rules. So either -0.6 or -1.0

Any thoughts on which of those they should all be?

Greg.

Thanks for the info.

As far as I know, all 3 generations have identical chassis / aero. The only thing that changed is the power trains.

So then which would it be. 0.6 for all three, or 1.0?

• National Staff
Greg.

Thanks for the info.

As far as I know, all 3 generations have identical chassis / aero. The only thing that changed is the power trains.

So then which would it be. 0.6 for all three, or 1.0?

It was our understanding that Gen 3 had chassis and aero upgrades, but we did not do extensive research and it sounds like we were given bad data. We will try to confirm your research, but assuming you are correct, it would be -1.0 for all three.

• Members

At some point the bodywork was changed for the rear wheel cut out but that appears to be the only change.

The Gen 2 and Gen 3 may both be Ford engines but they are very different horsepower and torque (105hp vs 135hp). Gen 2 competition weight was 1670lbs and the Gen 3 is 1560lbs due to the lighter engine. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 were previously allowed to run in PTB/TTB but the Gen 3 had to be ST3/TT3 due to the power to weight, that is probably why differentiation between Gen 2 and Gen 3 remained in the new rules.

• 3 weeks later...

There have also been some small brake & suspension changes (generally stronger parts replacing weak parts or obsolete parts). But there is no reason they couldn't be added to a Gen 1, they are legal & fairly common on Gen 2s.

What about the weight & tire size/type adjustments? Do they need to be factored in? And can they be changed (e.g. switch to slicks)?