HPDE questions.

darvish

Hello.

My wife and I would like to participate in an upcoming HPDE event. I have a few questions.

1. I have completed Skip Barber Initial, Advanced and specialty racing schools, Lotus racing school and have driven in a couple of Barber Series races about 8 years ago. I have not been on a track other than the Nurburgring in about 8 years. My Wife has completed the Skip Barber 2 day advanced driving course and the Lotus racing school.

We are planning on signing up for HPDE 1 as it has been a while since we have been on a track.

Is there a way to transition from HPDE 1 to HPDE 2 on the day of the event if the instructor feels we are competent?

2. How can two people share a car in the same class?

3. Can we register 2 cars? We have a Cayman S and a mildly modded CTSV wagon. I will have appropriate brake pads on both. To be honest we would prefer the CTSV but if 2 people cannot share a car equally I will grudgingly let her drive the CTSV and I will suffer in the Porsche!

Thanks in advance .

Bill and Jane.

Hello.

My wife and I would like to participate in an upcoming HPDE event. I have a few questions.

1. I have completed Skip Barber Initial, Advanced and specialty racing schools, Lotus racing school and have driven in a couple of Barber Series races about 8 years ago. I have not been on a track other than the Nurburgring in about 8 years. My Wife has completed the Skip Barber 2 day advanced driving course and the Lotus racing school.

We are planning on signing up for HPDE 1 as it has been a while since we have been on a track.

Is there a way to transition from HPDE 1 to HPDE 2 on the day of the event if the instructor feels we are competent?

3. Can we register 2 cars? We have a Cayman S and a mildly modded CTSV wagon. I will have appropriate brake pads on both. To be honest we would prefer the CTSV but if 2 people cannot share a car equally I will grudgingly let her drive the CTSV and I will suffer in the Porsche!

Thanks in advance .

Bill and Jane.

Where are you located?

Yes. There is no time requirement for progressing between HPDE groups. It's all dependent on driver ability (based on what an instructor assesses).

You can't really. Techically, one person could drive the car for half of the session, come in and the other take over for the next half. However, counting cool down lap and driver change, you'll lose a lot of track time trying to share the same car in the same group.

Most regions will run HPDE 1 & 2 together, then HPDE 3 & 4 together. With that, if you want to split you and your wife into two groups it has to be groups that will run separate to make a single car work. Given your experience, you could probably split one of you into HPDE2 and the other into HPDE3. The first session or two, no one is running that hard (and it's HPDE, not racing so it doesn't matter if you want to take it easier compared to some).

I'm assuming you are looking at Gateway next month? We haven't got the schedule planned yet, but but HPDE is typically split that way.

Entries are typically by person (i.e. two people, two entries, two entry fees). So regardless if the two are sharing a car or each have their own cars.

OK.. thanks for the info. We are registered with 2 cars and will trade each other from session to session. Is that doable?

What do I use for numbers?

Thanks

Bill

Sounds like this would be two HPDE1 entries each with one of those cars listed, then let assigned instructors handle moving each of you up to HPDE2 or beyond as appropriate.

Car numbers need to be big and visible on both sides. Vinyl in a contrasting color is typically preferred. Some people use masking tape. Magnetic numbers or panels may fly off the car.

Have fun!

OK.. thanks for the info. We are registered with 2 cars and will trade each other from session to session. Is that doable?

Thanks

Bill

You can use painter's tape, depending on the color of your car. I use magnetic vinyl numbers and tape around the edges to prevent them from flying off.

Try https://www.trackdecals.com/

If you are trying to do the Gateway event, email me directly: [email protected]

I can check your registration and ensure you are setup properly to enjoy the weekend.

I would recommend vinyl numbers or just use painters tape to make numbers. The numbers only need to be unique in your run group (for HPDE) so those using painters tape usually like 1, 11, or 111.

• 1 month later...