+2 End Link rule?

1jeffcat

7) Add, replace, remove, or modify anti-roll bars (“sway” bars—front, rear, or both) or end

links—may have spherical joints on the end links and/or relocation of the mounting points

without additional points assessment +2

What end links are legal in this rule? The OEM end links on the car are Grade A totaled with no bushing material left. I'd prefer having a shorter end link to compensate for the lower ride height so there is not a huge amount of static pre-load on the factory sway bars, however I don't quite understand how you accomplish that without "modified" end links. So I see the rules say "spherical joints" and "relocation of mounting points" are allowed for free, but I don't really know how to interpret that because I don't typically mess with sway bars, as I'm not a fan of them. I'm not looking for any particular performance gain. Just something durable, reliable, and something that replicates the factory sway bar pre-load performance characteristics. I'd get rid of the bars altogether, but I don't have the points to do it.

So I'll settle this in pictures.

This is the OEM end link that is junked now:

NA01-34-170.jpg

Are any of these legal/illegal as a no points end link replacement?

supermiata_end_link.jpg

GWRB-54200.jpg

img_5258.jpg

I wish I could answer this, but I am in the same boat as you. The way I read it, any change to the bar or links would be two points. If there is another interpretation, I would love to hear it.

may have spherical joints on the end links and/or relocation of the mounting points

without additional points assessment

That says to me, as long as it's the same length, it's legal. Shorten, +2

That said, I am not a tech guy, the guy protesting you, or did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

• Members

This has been discussed several times.

7) Add, replace, remove, or modify anti-roll bars (“sway” bars—front, rear, or both) or end

links—may have spherical joints on the end links and/or relocation of the mounting points

If you change the end links to anything but the original end links, it is +2 points.

The last part (may have spherical joints on the end links and/or relocation of the mounting points without additional points assessment) just tells you that if you are taking the +2 per 7), that you do not have take any additional points for the spherical joints per 22).

22) Metallic and/or spherical-design replacement suspension bushings +3 (except for shock tops

or bottoms assessed in E.1), E.2), or E.3) above, pillow ball camber plate joints, sway bar

end links already assessed points in E.7) above, control arm spindle/knuckle joints already

assessed points in E.9) above, and panhard rod, Watts link, torque arm, and third links

already assessed in E.17) ,E.18), E.19), E.20), and E.21) above.)

If you could change the end links for no points, it would be listed in the No-points Modifications section of the rules under suspension, page 38 of the TT rules.

So, you can only use the OEM link for zero points, anything else you have pictured is 2 points.

If you change the end links to anything but the original end links, it is +2 points.

The last part (may have spherical joints on the end links and/or relocation of the mounting points without additional points assessment) just tells you that if you are taking the +2 per 7), that you do not have take any additional points for the spherical joints per 22).

22) Metallic and/or spherical-design replacement suspension bushings +3 (except for shock tops

or bottoms assessed in E.1), E.2), or E.3) above, pillow ball camber plate joints, sway bar

end links already assessed points in E.7) above, control arm spindle/knuckle joints already

assessed points in E.9) above, and panhard rod, Watts link, torque arm, and third links

already assessed in E.17) ,E.18), E.19), E.20), and E.21) above.)

If you could change the end links for no points, it would be listed in the No-points Modifications section of the rules under suspension, page 38 of the TT rules.

So, you can only use the OEM link for zero points, anything else you have pictured is 2 points.

Okie dokie. OEM end links it is then. Thanks for the clarification.

" I'd prefer having a shorter end link to compensate for the lower ride height so there is not a huge amount of static pre-load on the factory sway bars, however I don't quite understand how you accomplish that without "modified" end links."

The only way to accomplish the above is by taking +2.

"So, you can only use the OEM link for zero points, anything else you have pictured is 2 points."

Generally true. However, you can purchase an OEM equivalent part at an auto parts store and it would be zero points if it follows this part of the rules from 8.5:

"Some parts that are produced by aftermarket manufacturers as generic replacement parts may not require a points assessment provided that: they are the same size and shape, and have the same functional characteristics as the BTM part, and that they provide no significant improvement in performance, longevity, or reliability."

Thanks for taking the time to review it again for those who haven't discussed it "several times".

So if it were to be reworded as such, it would be clearer? Maybe?

Add, replace, remove, or modify anti-roll bars (“sway” bars—front, rear, or both) and/or end

links. Non-BTM end links may have spherical joints and/or relocation of the mounting points

without additional points assessment beyond points taken here +2

Thanks for taking the time to review it again for those who haven't discussed it "several times".

So if it were to be reworded as such, it would be clearer? Maybe?

Add, replace, remove, or modify anti-roll bars (“sway” bars—front, rear, or both) and/or end

links. Non-BTM end links may have spherical joints and/or relocation of the mounting points

without additional points assessment beyond points taken here +2

I like that description more...at least in my particular case.