Path to Nasa, How do I get started

Canyonfive

Hello NASA,

Im currently racing a Mazdaspeed Miata prepped for autox. I recently installed a 4 point roll bar that meets your Time Trials Specs and based on the classing information Im in TT4 or TT3 depending on how much boost I run. How does this work with NASA? Do you monitor for boost?

Im open to any and all suggestions and guidance. I have done some other HPDE and im a National champion at autox so I was hoping to be able to make the jump to TT without having to attend NASA specific HDPE event. Is there a path to this?

Anthony

The rules have various topics regarding switchable ECU maps, which would apply to you.

Basically you need to dyno any configuration you want to run and have the relevant dyno sheets at hand and a way for the inspector to verify which map you're in.

Rules are here:

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/481/TT_Rules_2017--v14.1--12-27-16.pdf

Search for "ECU" or "map" in the rules to find the relevant sections.

Thank you, when I was trying to find the classes I could fit in using the excel sheet there were certain things that weren't selectable like a larger throttle body. Its says my Base Class is TTE. Here is what I have so far do I add the "none" points or the points?

My HP is 225

My weight is 2475

Weight +9

Checked box for forced induction +5

Stand alone ecu (its says none but also +10)

Larger Throttle body (it says none but also +2)

Fuel system +2

Boost controller +4

Intercooler +7

Post header exhaust piping +3

Changed limited slip +1

Non-remote Double adjustable shocks +3

Springs +2

anti-Roll bars +2

brake calipers +2

Front splitter +3

Rear Spoiler +4

For a total of 46 points so up two classes right there. Plus my tire option of..

200 tw 245's +2 (plus 1 for 245 width) 48 points > TTE + 2 classes so TTC?

275 Hooisier A7 +22 (plus 10 for width) 78 points > TTE +3 classes and 3 classes is TT4?

Peak horsepower doesn't count for numbered classes, but if your average power comes out to anything near 225hp, that might be too high for TT4. Let's try:

2475 / 225 = 11:1

-0.2 for weight

+0.7 if you can run 245's (can be Hoosier R7's; not A7)

If you want to keep aero, you can't take the 0.4 points for OEM Aero in TT4

=============

11 - 0.2 + 0.7 = 11.5 : 1 = TT3

To make the numbers work for TT4, I think a slight decrease in boost would get you very competitive if you can get your average horsepower to 215, which you might be very, very close to.

Then the math works:

2475 / 215 = 11.51 - 0.2 + 0.7 = 12.01 : 1 = TT4

And you won't have to worry about all the other points stuff.

Oh that's much easier. How do I figure average Hp the NASA way?

edit: (Hp... kinda wishing I had a diesel)

Im open to any and all suggestions and guidance. I have done some other HPDE and im a National champion at autox so I was hoping to be able to make the jump to TT without having to attend NASA specific HDPE event. Is there a path to this?

The path is to talk to your region's TT director. They will want to see a track driving history with significant advanced level experience (for example, in this region the minimum is 4 weekends in HPDE3) and typically yes you will need to do at least a weekend or more with NASA in a fast HPDE group, plus get a check ride for provisional TT approval. All for safety of course...

Again, thank you.

So if my Base class is tte and im +3 classes then I end up in TT4. So can I compete in tt4 with the tte+points for mods or does that then mean I have to use the TT4 calculations?