Sign in to follow this  

Questions about Legends Brake Lights-Need help ASAP!

I am wiring up my Legends Car for the required brake lights and need help. Do you have to have Brake Lights ONLY or do we also need Tail/Running Lights too? I have never heard anyone say other than brake lights. Please advise asap, I am in the process up adding the wiring as we speak. Also for racers who bought their car from 600 Racing with the lights already wired in and mounted, what type and what kind of lights do you have? Please post ampic of your setup. Thanks

Legends21

For Road Racing, NASA only requires Brake Lights.

As far as brake lights go, I have seen a wide verity of lights used. I would suggest you mount a pair of lights in case one bulb fails. The "SCCA" kit from 600 racing included a pair of lights made for an over the road tractor trailer. You can go the Northern Tools and pick up a pair of trailer lights that are to your liking as well.

The Stop light switch is a standard VW part. It came for the same vintage as the master cylinder used the Legends Cars. Check the Legends group on Yahoo for a parts list.

BTW, I wired my car where the "hot" wire went to one side of the brake lights and the other brake light wire went to one side of the stop light switch. You then need to connect the other terminal to a ground wire that I attached to the frame/firewall. Also, note that the VW switch may be a three (3) terminal arrangement. Internally the switch is a pair of contacts, one normally open and one normally closed. If I remember correctly, the center lug is the common connection. For the Legends Car application, you need to take your multi-meter and find the normally open pair to wire up.

Legends21

Make that "variety" of lights not "verity" of lights

(Sorry for the typo)

Legends21

I found the VW part number that was in the SCCA kit:

VW part # 113 945 515G

This one was a 3 terminal variety, but a 2 terminal one will work fine.

Great! thanks for your links Dale. I do have the 3 pole switch already on the m/cyl. just wiring it up now. I hope it is not bad but, if it is I know where to go now to get a new one.