different brake compounds same rotors

aaronsti

now i know people say to resurface or change rotors with new compounds. but have any of you not done this and noticed a decrease in performance? its logical in theory to not want more than one compound on a rotor at once but does it actually work out in practice to be bad.

• 1 month later...

I have switched to a slightly different compound from the same manufacturer but never switched to completely different brands......no noticeable change for me.

Are we talking about a street car that you are looking to use in an HPDE event?

For my "street" car, I swap to Hawk DTC70/60s a few days before the event and drive the car as normal. Race pads tend to be very aggressive and wear off old compound from the rotor face. Once at the track, first session re-beds the pads to those rotors - fine for weekend. Then I daily drive the car as normal for a few days when home to have the cold race pads wear off the surface material and swap back to my street pad. Note - my street pads are more on the aggressive end of coefficient of friction (just sound less like a train coming to a stop). They are different brands in this cars case.

If you want to go the extra step, get another set of rotors for those race pads. Then swap pads and rotors for the DE event.

Racecar - typically once a pad is found that works well with the cars setup - leave it.

I have switched to a slightly different compound from the same manufacturer but never switched to completely different brands......no noticeable change for me.

Same here, switched over to HT10 from DTC60 in the rears mid season last year and saw no issues aside from backend doesn't want to kick out on me when trail braking now. Keep some Hawk Blue's around so when I do want to clean rotors and start over.