First HPDE at VIR... August 18/19th

Bridgdav

Hello ALL,

Doing my first HPDE1 in my 2015 Mustang GT, PP. So a few questions if you'll humor me.

The car is my daily driver, so wondering what level of crap is collected into the front end during a typical DE weekend..

Is VIR a dirty track.. barring an off into the grass..?

Do you recommend taping the front end or a temporary bra..?

Already planned fluid changes, but running stock Brembo pads. The car has had a few mods for stiffness and lowering (Swift springs)....

I intend to start with the Pirelli P Zero's on the car, but have a set of Pilots as a back up.

As I don't intend on Ragging the car around VIR, is insurance a must for HPDE1.?

The car is bought and paid for so it's down to me. Do I need to worry about the Others..?

I will go with an open mind, no preconceptions and more than willing to listen & learn.

Watching Videos, reading forums and generally getting up to speed with the best info at the moment, but some questions remain unanswered.

Your feedback is most appreciated. TIA.

Dave.

The car is my daily driver, so wondering what level of crap is collected into the front end during a typical DE weekend..

Is VIR a dirty track.. barring an off into the grass..?

Do you recommend taping the front end or a temporary bra..?

Dirt happens, little black rubber marks from tires will appear, but are easily removed. VIR doesn't have gravel traps, so small rocks aren't as big a concern as in other places.

As I don't intend on Ragging the car around VIR, is insurance a must for HPDE1.?

The car is bought and paid for so it's down to me. Do I need to worry about the Others..?

Most don't get insurance, but it's never a bad idea. I have been working safety at Summit for 15 years, and I only recall one incident of car to car contact. Can it happen, of course, is it likely, no. HPDE 1 is much more controlled as most are new, so usually incidents are low. Nasa MA runs a great program, you'll have a great time.

I will go with an open mind, no preconceptions and more than willing to listen & learn.

Watching Videos, reading forums and generally getting up to speed with the best info at the moment, but some questions remain unanswered.

My best advise is leave the ego in your paddock space. If a car catches you, let them by, then see what they are doing. You may learn something that will get you passing them the next session.

Already planned fluid changes, but running stock Brembo pads.

Watching Videos,

Good move on fluid changes, Motul RBF600 brake fluid is pretty good. Pad change? Hawk HPS or HP+ work nice for our heavy cars. Even in DE1 brake pads will get a hard workout

If you opt for some, Hagerty is offering HPDE/Track Day insurance now.

Watching video's, especially of drivers at the track your going to. You become familiar or re-familiar with the track ahead of time and its good to see some of the lines drivers take.

Enjoy, its lots of fun..

I run VIR all the time and will be at that event. While I'm in a SN95 racecar now, I went through the HPDE program in an SRT8 Charger

(big heavy pig!). You will likely get black rubber on the front of the car but as mentioned incidents and debris are rare in HPDE1. You need brake pads and brake fluid but everything else can wait. Street tires (with minimal tread) is actually best at your level. NASA is a great program that allows you to progress at the speed YOU are comfortable with. It's built around making it as fun and stress free as possible (because you will put enough stress on yourself!)

• 1 month later...

An absolute blast this weekend, car performed great, so did I... I think.

Ran a 2:24 at the end of the day on Sunday and I got to drive solo in HPDE1.

Mustang GT PP, stock brakes & tires, Roush mufflers and swift springs fitted.

Time for some hotter Pads and sway bars.

Damn it was hot, 92F this afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear you enjoyed, it's an exhilarating sport. The more seat time you gather, your experience grows and it becomes even more fun and challenging.