Spec Miata or Spec E30?

outlawevans

This question has probably been asked a lot but my search didn't come up with much..

Anyways I'm looking recommendations for what class to run? I've never done wheel to wheel racing and I'm looking to do something cheap but with a very large field to compete against to push my driving. I'm planning on buying a prebuilt car as I don't have the fabrication means to do it myself. Also I'm located in Las Vegas, so the Arizona, socal, and NorCal regions are all doable. So a few of my questions are:

Spec E30 or Spec Miata?

Would a Nasa spec built car always pass with other groups?

Sorry about the noobish questions but I have no family or friends that I've ever road raced to consult lol

Many drivers undergo much aggravation struggling to get larger seats installed in a Miata, at least the easrly NA cars. If you're smaller then no worries. If you're wider, find out what seat you want to run, including brand, size, and halo options, then find out if it fits. Also, some taller drivers struggle to fit in Miatas.

I won two championships in Spec Miata and love them. Inexpensive, simple, reliable, stout engines and chassis. And a Miata is an excellent car to learn to race.

I've enjoyed all the E30s I've driven and I've heard lots of good things about SpecE30s. Check out the size of the fields as I think E30 fields are bigger back East.

Other than whether you fit and field size, I think both are a good choice.

Thank you for the reply! Size isn't really an issue, I'm 5'6 and weigh about 155 pounds. I'll definently have to check out an event or two to see the field size for sure. After looking at a few events results on the socal nasa page there's about 20 spec e30s that started and 30 spec miatas tht did

I agree with the responses so far. Go to an event (or 2) and ask some the drivers of the classes your interested in. They WILL be glad to help get a new guy started (rookies improve Toyo Buck payouts! LOL)