Partial Tube Frame Question for GTS and TT

M3 GT3

Hello Everyone! I am new to the NASA forums, and am really excited to become a member of the NASA community!

I am building an e36 M3 for competition in Auto-X, TT, and GTS this summer, and I need some clarification on a couple rules.

I have owned the car for almost 7 years and bought it with some front end damage to the wheelhouse assembly that was incorrectly repaired. My plan has been to cut off the damage (basically everything forward of the firewall except the engine rails) and build tubular strut towers and sheet metal or plastic inner fenders.

I am building the car primarily for GTS, and by my interpretation of the rules this allowed because a tube chassis is defined as "A vehicle that is built solely for racing, and cannot be be driven with the tube structure removed. Drivetrain and suspension mounting points are exempt from this rule."

The rules for TT are a little bit more vague. I would like to be able to run in TT2, but the rulebook for TT is not as clear as the GTS rulebook. It is possible that building a tubular front end could bump me into TTU, and if that is the case, my GTS3/4 BMW will not be competitive at all.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Will

Thanks for the feedback! Is the non-production vehicle penalty -0.4? I read the rule book again and from what I understood production vehicle chassis gain 0.2 points, and non-production vehicles lose 0.4. So overall this looks like about a .6 point spread between production and non-production vehicles. Can anyone confirm this and give me an idea how significant .6 points is?

In NorCal, ST3 and TT3 are dominated by M3's taking the non-production penalty and they are running times that are verging on ST2/TT2.