rough68fish

Replacement Parts Original vs OEM Replacements

rough68fish

I have been doing some HPDE and would like to move into TT or AutoX next year with my 03 Audi TT Quattro. My car needs some suspension work. My question is about replacement struts, shocks and springs etc. If I replace them with something like Bilstein B4s and other "OE Replacements" would I need to add points? In short do they need to say "Audi" on them to not be assessed point?

Thank you

Sean

getfast

Any shock/strut that is not OEM from the factory on the base trim level of the car or "identical in size, shape, and functional characteristics" (see TT rules section 8.5 BTM Definition) takes points in TT and NASA-X. "Some parts that are produced by aftermarket manufacturers as generic replacement parts may not require a points assessment provided that: they are the same size and shape, and have the same functional characteristics as the BTM part, and that they provide no significant improvement in performance, longevity, or reliability." But you probably have no way to prove those Bilsteins are the exact same just because they fit, if they didn't come on the car new. So if you're going to buy something that doesn't say Audi on it, buy something better and take the points

rough68fish

Thanks. Your advise makes sense. I picked up a car to dedicate to track time but it needs some work. I was just hoping to get it as close to stock as possible at minimum cost to get some seat time before I decide where to spend points on changes.