New lithium battery rules

bigjae1976

Lithium ion batteries must be outside of the passenger area of the vehicle. Note- a ruptured lithium ion battery is subject to instant ignition at such high temperatures, the owner/ builder runs the risk of the entire vehicle being consumed by the fire.

Can you define passenger area?

What if I installed the battery in a fire and explosion proof box? Could I then install it in the passenger area?

Lithium ion batteries must be outside of the passenger area of the vehicle. Note- a ruptured lithium ion battery is subject to instant ignition at such high temperatures, the owner/ builder runs the risk of the entire vehicle being consumed by the fire.

Can you define passenger area?

To me it's the central section that contains driver and/or instructor and/or passenger, typically between front firewall and rear bulkhead.

What if I installed the battery in a fire and explosion proof box? Could I then install it in the passenger area?

The way I read the rule is that it still needs to be "outside of the passenger area of the vehicle"

Hope it helps,