Proposed changes for '18 for upper level classes

Greg G.

• National Staff

Hi Folks,

We are planning on expanding the Avg HP formula to include 6 data points in '18, instead of 4.

For ST4/TT4, we are planning on limiting size 275mm tires to only those cars weighing more than 3000 lbs (might be more than 3100 lbs--to be decided).

There will be new rules that permit vehicles like BMW's to reinforce problem areas of the chassis, such as the RTAB pocket mounting location, as long as there is no other performance benefit or geometry change (without requiring a Non-Production Vehicle Mod Factor assessment).

There will probably also be a new Mod Factor for tires that don't perform as well as the best "R" tires on the market (those in lines 6, 7, 8 of the PT Rules). It is not decided which classes this will be included in (or all classes).

ST5 (? PT5)/ TT5 might still be coming...stay tuned.

Hi Folks,

We are planning on expanding the Avg HP formula to include 6 data points in '18, instead of 4.

For ST4/TT4, we are planning on limiting size 275mm tires to only those cars weighing more than 3000 lbs (might be more than 3100 lbs--to be decided).

There will be new rules that permit vehicles like BMW's to reinforce problem areas of the chassis, such as the RTAB pocket mounting location, as long as there is no other performance benefit or geometry change (without requiring a Non-Production Vehicle Mod Factor assessment).

There will probably also be a new Mod Factor for tires that don't perform as well as the best "R" tires on the market (those in lines 6, 7, 8 of the PT Rules). It is not decided which classes this will be included in (or all classes).

ST5 (? PT5)/ TT5 might still be coming...stay tuned.

Greg

Re item in bold - will the 6 points still be at 500 rpm increments? For my car that would lower my avg HP and allow me to shed more weight as I already run on the skinniest DOT tire. I feel like current formula is working well at least in my region for TT3 with several top cars running within tenths of each other. What is the impetus for this change?

Thanks in advance.

Denis

• National Staff

High dollar restrictor plate and/or electronically detuned motors with a flat HP curve for over 3000+ rpm are still a problem for those who cannot afford to build a $25,000+ motor. This is the easiest way to further equalize that issue.

High dollar restrictor plate and/or electronically detuned motors with a flat HP curve for over 3000+ rpm are still a problem for those who cannot afford to build a $25,000+ motor. This is the easiest way to further equalize that issue.

I like it! Looks like I would be able to shed 80 pounds.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the clarification Greg. Any chance the "upper level" class changes will be announced early, or will they have to be held back until the ST/TT5 decisions are made.