2017 RCR's for the 2018 Rulebook...

Al Watson

Well its that time of the year again. In case you forgot below is the rule change request procedure and adjusted timeline.

Procedure:

1. Rule change requests (RCR’s) will be accepted all season from the release date of the previous years rule package until October 25th of the current year. Note rules will not be changed mid season unless absolutely necessary. Technical bulletins may be issued by Nasa as has been done in the past.

2. RCR’s must be submitted via email to the national director with a CC to your regional director. Please include which class & 'RCR' in the subject line.

3. RCR’s must contain the following: Name, region, contact info, class, rule number, recommended changes and reasoning.

4. RCR’s will be assigned a number for future reference, ie AIRCR-010113.

5. RCR’s will be prioritized and addressed by the regional and national directors all season.

6. RCR’s will be listed on the forums by October 25th for public comment.

7. New rules packages will be submitted to Nasa HQ for approval by November 1st.

8. New rules packages to be approved by Nasa HQ and released to the public by November 15th.

Timeline Commitment:

All season – RCRs submitted and addressed

Oct 25th – RCRs done. RCRs open for public comment.

Nov 1st – Rules pack submitted to Nasa HQ

Nov 15th – Rules approved and released

Thank you,

Albert Watson

Northeast AI/CMC Director

• 1 month later...

Ladies and Gentlemen, RCRs for the 2018 rulebook have come to a close, here is a list of what was submitted.

spec iron

rcr-si-051317 race abs mod m-2353-a discontinued, allow 10-14 race modules and gt500 mod

rcr-si-051417 si frpp cold air kit no longer available, go to open cold air

rcr-si-051717 dyno hood open

rcr-si-092517 racer required to present car ready for inspections

american iron

rcr-ai-051717 dyno hood open

rcr-ai-090717 ai track width increase for older cars to keep up with +15 rear irs

rcr-ai-092517 racer required to present car ready for inspections

rcr-ai-092617 min weight all 2900#

rcr-ai-092717 turbo, intercooler, radiator must mount in engine comp

rcr-ai-093017 allow composite roof in ai

rcr-ai-100617 allow 15" rotors in Ai

american iron extreme

rcr-aix-091317 remove aix track width rule

rcr-aix-092517 racer required to present car ready for inspections

rcr-aix-092617 min weight all 2700#

american iron

Are we going to start racing with the hood open? I don't have hinges. So, once I pull my hood pins, it's open!

rcr-ai-090717 ai track width increase for older cars to keep up with +15 rear irs

That'll make it easier on the tech guys, I'm already 2"+ under...

Which inspections?

Because you're worried about a 2700lb car when a 3500+lb car just won the East Coast Championship?

*mumbles* Yeah, let's change one of the only stable parts of the rules since the beginning...

Well, at least I'll be able to get more than 43% rear after I add 120lbs of lead to the RR.

Ambiguous. Would read better must mount forward of the firewall, to eliminate weenie protests.

Hell, we've allowed everything else, might as well...

So... you need 15" rotors to stop your 3700lb car, but a guy running at 2700lbs, so he can keep 13" rotors, should be illegal. Right...

PS- Don't forget to ask for 19" wheels and a swap to Hoosiers, so your 15" brakes fit easier.

Well, there's my $.02.

american iron

rcr-ai-051717 dyno hood open- not until we race with hoods off as stated above.

rcr-ai-090717 ai track width increase for older cars to keep up with +15 rear irs- I would like to see this or some variant of it, as in lower the 15s a bit and raise ours a bit. As long as we are equal or very close to it

rcr-ai-092517 racer required to present car ready for inspections- Can we get some more clarification on what this means?

rcr-ai-092617 min weight all 2900#- I have no opinion on this

rcr-ai-092717 turbo, intercooler, radiator must mount in engine comp- I am fine with this but would agree with above wording as to the firewall

rcr-ai-093017 allow composite roof in ai- I would say no to this to

rcr-ai-100617 allow 15" rotors in Ai- double no to this

Not that I race in American Iron, but you would have to modify to ballast rule also if this went through. Which would mean you could potentially have 500 lbs of ballast if your car was already gutted to 2700 and used 300 lbs of lead.

Mike

Good stuff TJ,

american iron

Are we going to start racing with the hood open? I don't have hinges. So, once I pull my hood pins, it's open!

That'll make it easier on the tech guys, I'm already 2"+ under...

Which inspections?

Because you're worried about a 2700lb car when a 3500+lb car just won the East Coast Championship?

*mumbles* Yeah, let's change one of the only stable parts of the rules since the beginning...

Well, at least I'll be able to get more than 43% rear after I add 120lbs of lead to the RR.

Ambiguous. Would read better must mount forward of the firewall, to eliminate weenie protests.

Hell, we've allowed everything else, might as well...

So... you need 15" rotors to stop your 3700lb car, but a guy running at 2700lbs, so he can keep 13" rotors, should be illegal. Right...

PS- Don't forget to ask for 19" wheels and a swap to Hoosiers, so your 15" brakes fit easier.

Well, there's my $.02.

Hood open for dyno. We are considering requiring the hood open for dyno test because heat soaked intake air can lower power, while on track cooler air at speed can increase power, so to better represent actual power we will dyno with hood open.

Inspections. Last year we clarified the racer was required to prep car for dyno inspection not officials, now we want to put language in the rules that any inspections ordered the racer must present the car to officials and the racer perform the work, ie weighing a tire/rim for SI. This is coming from other classes were there is a problem as some regularly make excuses why they cant do inspections, ie why hub broke and i cant drive the car to scales etc.

Hood open for dyno. We are considering requiring the hood open for dyno test because heat soaked intake air can lower power, while on track cooler air at speed can increase power, so to better represent actual power we will dyno with hood open.

Ram air and cowl induction at speed can increase horsepower as well. Are we going to tow the dyno around at 130MPH so that is well represented, too?

Inspections. Last year we clarified the racer was required to prep car for dyno inspection not officials, now we want to put language in the rules that any inspections ordered the racer must present the car to officials and the racer perform the work, ie weighing a tire/rim for SI. This is coming from other classes were there is a problem as some regularly make excuses why they cant do inspections, ie why hub broke and i cant drive the car to scales etc.

I still don't get what this means. When you say that we are required to prep the car for dyno, what prep is there other than setting the tire pressures? And even if I set it, doesn't an official need to verify that I set it to spec?

Weighing a tire/rim for SI... we have a minimum wheel weight. Does this mean I have to take it off the car? Take the tire off the wheel? Bring it over to the scale and put it on?

If you want to inspect my connecting rod bearings to make sure they are stock, I have to take them out for you?

Not being a smartass (as I usually am!), I really don't understand what this means.

rcr-si-051317 race abs mod m-2353-a discontinued, allow 10-14 race modules and gt500 mod

I assume that this means that any 05-10 car can use the M-2353-A, any of the 10-14 race modules, any of the 07-14 GT500 modules, or the stock module the car came with? Does this mean that no ABS with a weight break is no longer an option?

After the sky-is-falling reaction I got when I proposed 18" wheels so that you could fit the already-legal 14" brakes on a S197 and still fit within the track width limits... I'm glad I wasn't behind this one!

What this means is if an official calls you to an inspection you must present the car for said inspection, if you dont or choose not to you may be DQ'd. Also officlals do not work on cars, any work required to prove legality is done by the racer not and official. Basically in other classes there have been circumstances were racers simply dont show for inspections and we wish to make it clear in the rules no show = dq.

As for Si ABS, we are planning to allowing all 05-14 oem master, hyd unit, modules, plus gt500 hyd and modules along with discontinued race modules so people have options and the tech bulletin to allow no abs will be retracted.

Ladies and Gentlemen, RCRs for the 2018 rulebook have come to a close, here is a list of what was submitted.

spec iron

rcr-si-051717 dyno hood open

rcr-si-092517 racer required to present car ready for inspections

For rcr-si-051717 dyno hood open, SI i think we should still have a the hood closed since the 10s with the stock box has a tub to pull cold air from the outside and we are not allowed to added any tube to the CAI to pull in cold air to the 05-09 cars

rcr-si-092517 racer required to present car ready for inspections, like everybody else saying what dose this mean.

I still don't get what this means. When you say that we are required to prep the car for dyno, what prep is there other than setting the tire pressures? And even if I set it, doesn't an official need to verify that I set it to spec?

Weighing a tire/rim for SI... we have a minimum wheel weight. Does this mean I have to take it off the car? Take the tire off the wheel? Bring it over to the scale and put it on?

If you want to inspect my connecting rod bearings to make sure they are stock, I have to take them out for you?

Not being a smartass (as I usually am!), I really don't understand what this means.

I assume that this means that any 05-10 car can use the M-2353-A, any of the 10-14 race modules, any of the 07-14 GT500 modules, or the stock module the car came with? Does this mean that no ABS with a weight break is no longer an option?

Fairly confident they simply mean YOU are doing any work on the car to comply with the inspection vs the official doing the work. IE: Last years nationals CMC had to weigh wheels and tires. We were required to remove the wheels (with tire) and submit them to be weighed. (the official wasn't going to remove the wheels for us)

Jeff,I hope the abs rule goes back to the way it was so it can be spec again.The problem with this rule with our class v/s AI is that we are already at max hp were AI normally detunes for the max or can add weight.And we run very little if any ballast and we cant gut anymore.So if I decide to remove the abs I can't make anymore power and I can only shed 40 lbs of ballast.

Al, If its possible I would like to speak with you on the phone about the hood open rule. I can disprove any theory with factual data about the temperatures our ( Coyote motors to be specific) cars see riding around the race track at speed compared to what would be seen on the dyno with the hood up (ambient). I would have to sit here for hours writing out all this stuff out and would rather just have a conversation about it. My director Wes has all my contact info, Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

2018 rules are posted: https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules

Changes at a glance:

Spec Iron

7.8.2 The Ford Racing ABS brake module M-2353-A, M-2353-CA, M-2353-C, 7R3Z-2C219-E may be

used.

7.8.3 The hydraulic control unit, brake booster and brake master from the 2005-2009 GT, 2007-2014

Shelby GT500, 2010-2014 GT are permitted.

Tech bulletin to run no ABS at diff pwr to wght was removed.

7.11.2 Any readily available aftermarket cold air intake kit is permitted. All components must be

located within the engine compartment Ram air is not permitted.

8.2​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​Inspection​ ​and​ ​Testing The competitor is responsible to present the car in 'as raced' condition for all official inspections

(Scales, dyno, etc). Failure to present the car for inspection or choosing to not permit an

inspection may result in disqualification. Dyno inspection results and electronic monitoring

equipment results must be similar to declared dyno results or the competitor may be disqualified.

Competitors are responsible for ensuring all dyno tests are performed per class rules.

American Iron

6.1 American​ ​Iron​ ​(Power) The absolute minimum weight for an AI car is 2900 lbs with driver. Less weight for 4/6 cyl was removed.

6.1.1​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​Track​ ​Width​ ​&​ ​Wheelbase, all cars now 76.5 max track width

7.12.4 Turbochargers and superchargers must be mounted in the engine compartment. Intercoolers must

be mounted forward of the front axle centerline.

8.2​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​Inspection​ ​and​ ​Testing The competitor is responsible to present the car in 'as raced' condition for all official inspections

(Scales, dyno, etc). Failure to present the car for inspection or choosing to not permit an

inspection may result in disqualification. Dyno inspection results and electronic monitoring

equipment results must be similar to declared dyno results or the competitor may be disqualified.

Competitors are responsible for ensuring all dyno tests are performed per class rules.

American Iron Extreme

6.2 Power​ ​&​ ​Weight The minimum weight for an AIX car is 2700 pounds with driver. Less weight for 4/6 cyl was removed.

8​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​Inspection​ ​and​ ​Testing The competitor is responsible to present the car in 'as raced' condition for all official inspections

(Scales, etc). Failure to present the car for inspection or choosing to not permit an inspection

may result in disqualification.