Rule Proposal : Continental Rain tire exception for DOT

Emag

Apparently this has been going on for a while, but I believe that we can reach an agreement that the Contintental rain tires offered on clearance in the Hoosier website are a valid alternative to the widely used Hoosier H20.

Why? They use the exact same moulds, tread, and although I'm not a material scientist they seem to have a very similar compound. And they're ONE THIRD OF THE PRICE! Let's allow an exception from the non DOT penalty for these tires and these tires only. We can save some money. Then use the savings to buy each other beers and talk about how rain driving is all about the driver anyway!

• Members

Emag,

As per the established requirements to consider the proposal, please sign your name, class and the Region you run.

Thank you,

Michael G.

GTS Nat Dir.

Written documentation from Continental or Hoosier supporting your claim is the only way I would support this. the only way this would work would be to allow new rains as well. absolutely zero way to police if they are purchased as scrubs as I assume that is what you're referring to by your 1/3 of the price comment.

There is a big difference between Hoosier DOT H2O rains and Non DOT rains such as Pirelli's, Michelin etc. Maybe if there was a problem getting DOT and Non DOT rains, but there's not. Just because there's a cheaper option out there for tires(take-off's) that shouldn't effect the rule. I'm for leaving the rule as written.

-Scott B.

But there is no price difference and 'heat cycle' difference.

The reason why we have a DOT and non-DOT dry tire is because there are those who think that DOT's use up quicker (they do not. I typically get a dozen or more heat cycles on my non-DOT tires)

So, why would we not all just get non-DOT rains.

And, I still do not believe you. I have never felt magic from driving on DOT rains vs non-DOT rains.

Thanks

Ed

Written documentation from Continental or Hoosier supporting your claim is the only way I would support this. the only way this would work would be to allow new rains as well. absolutely zero way to police if they are purchased as scrubs as I assume that is what you're referring to by your 1/3 of the price comment.

They're $90 each brand new on Hoosier's website right now. I'll work on the documentation after The Glen this weekend but I will be there with both tires if anyone would like to see for themselves how exactly similar they are.

BTW this is Eric Magnussen,

#330 GTS3 - NE / MA regions.

• Members

Also, how do we know that the future compounds of the Conti take offs are the same as in the past? So, how do we practically enforce it?

Hoosier also sell non-DOT rains along side with H20s - look the same, but a better rain tire. Other non-DOT rains like Michelins and Pirellis are certainly better than H2Os as well.

Michael G.

GTS Nat Dir.

• John S. locked this topic