Building a street car, class unknown

Motorsports-X

Hey folks.

Years ago I bought a 325ci with the intention of one day turning it into a hot street ride. (I even went to 4 dealers to find a coupe without a sun roof lol) Well things have evolved since then and now I'm really interested in building a car that's capable of racing in a class, but not dedicated to it. What I'm trying to determine is if there is a class, either here or with another organization that fits me, or if I need to significantly change my plans.

Here's the thing I definitely had in mind and want to do/have.

1. Ls swap. 400-500hp

2. Tubbed rear

3. 6 point cage with additional subframe support

4, 2 front seats and a mostly complete front interior

I talked with vorschlag earlier and he said that st1/2 would be where I'm at ..but after reading the rules, I feel like that would be too much race car and not enough have fun with the kids hot rod. Also, I don't it would be competitive as I envision it. And frankly I'm not wanting to drop 50 grand just yet.

I'm not looking to build a class dominating car, just something that's fun and that with a good driver could run mid pack in whatever series it ends up in. Maybe 5-10.

At the end of the day, I could just build a track day car with no class in mind, but I have a inkling that both my kid and myself will want to race more and more in a series as the years progress. If it evolves into a full on race car in 7 or 8 years that's fine , or we buy another car specifically for racing that's fine, but I'm planning for the next 3 or 4 years right now.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Take a peak at Time Trials. Its competitive, fun, challenging, rewarding, frustrating, but most of all, its fun. And you don't need a "race" car to compete.

A racecar that can run on the street won't do either very well. Time trial car might be the ticket (I never ran TT) or just a fun track day car.

Your build sounds like fun but it doesn't fit many classes in any organization.

• 2 weeks later...

Various bits have been clipped out...

Here's the thing I definitely had in mind and want to do/have.

1. Ls swap. 400-500hp

2. Tubbed rear

3. 6 point cage with additional subframe support

4, 2 front seats and a mostly complete front interior

And frankly I'm not wanting to drop 50 grand just yet.

I'm not looking to build a class dominating car, just something that's fun and that with a good driver could run mid pack in whatever series it ends up in. Maybe 5-10.

Check the ST3/TT3/ST4/TT4 rules if you just want something that's fun. Cheaper, more reliable, etc. You won't need 500 hp or $50K in an E46 swap for that. Besides, there are typically more cars in the "lower" classes. Hell, don't rule out TTC or TTD. Check with your local region for car counts.

Tubbing the car will cause it to fall under "non-production" and the car will take a weight:power ratio hit. Besides, non-production cars aren't allowed in ST4/TT4. Hang the tires outboard, not inboard. Or, go with a stickier compound instead of more width.

All rules: https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules

Mark

• 1 month later...

I assume this is an older 325i, so light + 400hp LS = ST2/TT2 at best.

Rule one of racing, if you want to win, the car has to be optimized for the rules. So fun street car will almost never equal competitive race car.

Nothing says it can't be a fun racecar or TT car, but it won't be competitive against fully prepared cars.

But I agree ST and especially TT are a little too full on racecar for my taste. Especially as it seems that ST/TT number is going to gobble up all the PT/TT letter classes over time. I think we need something more in the range of PT or SCCA Improved Touring in terms of typical mods, but with built in dyno reclasses or based on the ST style power to weight approach. And even ST3, 4, + with more limits than 1 & 2 typically exceed that level of prep.