Splitting the Super Unlimited Class

denniscox

Hello,

Has any thought by the CCR authors been given to splitting up the Super Unlimited Class. The national races have LMP cars in them, which means many other cars don't have a shot.

ST1 and ST2 have a difference of 2.0 regarding Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio. As does ST2 to ST3 and so on and so forth. That means SU has a difference of 0-6 - that is a wide gap. Just curious as locally its great but the nationals aren't interesting when cars are 10 seconds a lap faster than others.

Dennis

UrbanKnight - agreed. I signed up for nationals - but after seeing the entry list and the power of the cars I realized I would be 6 seconds a lap off the best lap. Hence, I cancelled.

• 3 months later...
I think there should be a production class and a prototype class in SU.

Given even tube frame cars are legal in ST, what "production" car would have to run SU?

I'd be in for this option. my car is nothing crazy that almost bumps it out of ST1. But weighing under 3000lbs, having a tubular k member, a straight cut gear Jerico, and non DOT tires. makes me take the "non-production car" point factor and all adds up to subtracting 1.2 off my total HP/weight.

which makes my 413whp car needing to weigh 2975 in order to race ST1. which at that point will probably get smoked anyway by a more purpose built car for that class which has limited deductions. So I'm at the point of running minimal ballast and just going to SU or bolting on the full 250 lbs to stay in ST1

maybe 5:1 would be a good starting benchmark if we were to go down that route? or a modified set of rules?

but either way its going to pull cars from different classes making their car counts less. so i guess unless your at the edge of power/weight its a overall loss for the sport

Mike

Yes, that's part of the issue with the fixed performace adjustments. A half point or point adjustment that is appropriate for a 12:1 car makes a much bigger impact on a 6:1 car. I have often thought that they should be changed to percentage modifiers against the allowed/adjusted power to weight.

• National Staff

...and why can't your supercharged V8 not be detuned to whatever HP you want to get a flat HP curve AND to run at whatever lighter weight that you want that will help you to turn and brake better as well?

• 4 weeks later...
...and why can't your supercharged V8 not be detuned to whatever HP you want to get a flat HP curve AND to run at whatever lighter weight that you want that will help you to turn and brake better as well?

Greg,

if this post was in reference to my response above, i haven't checked forum lately as you can see, but the car has an N/A small block 350 motor with stock internals. I could detune the engine i suppose and play around with jetting and whatnot. If it was as simple as changing a boost level I would surely do that to make my life easier.

I just added my two cents into the conversation for discussion.

Mike

• Members

If people don't want to get smoked by prototypes, enter ST1, simple as that. I actively try to get people in my region to populate the ST1-2 classes since most of the SU cars already fit in them anyway. I don't think the argument that a car can be more competitive in SU rather than ST1 makes any sense. Sure you can add HP, but the minute a prototype car shows up you are hosed.

In my opinion SU already has two classes, SU and ST1.

If people don't want to get smoked by prototypes, enter ST1, simple as that. I actively try to get people in my region to populate the ST1-2 classes since most of the SU cars already fit in them anyway. I don't think the argument that a car can be more competitive in SU rather than ST1 makes any sense. Sure you can add HP, but the minute a prototype car shows up you are hosed.

In my opinion SU already has two classes, SU and ST1.

I would rather not enter SU because of those reasons. But the way the rules are written, a tubular aftermarket k member and a low weight car puts you on the limit of staying in ST1. So I'll see how it all pans out once I have everything together and weigh the car.

Mike

• Members

I'm in the same boat. I am trying to build an ST1/2 car that can compete with a GT3 Cup car (most are ST1). To loose some weight on my 370 I had to do some partial tube framing of the floor. It runs all stock subframes and suspension mounting points, but I still have to take the non production mod that really hurts me. But taking very specific examples and trying to use that to change a ruleset, that is built for flexibility and to try to class every car in existence, is very hard. There are always going to be some examples that don't work out well.