Insurance!

Tom Tom

I have wanted to race for forty years. Either time or money have prevented it until now...but I am older and wiser and am thinking about liability. Right now simulators and Porsche Driving Experience are my only options!

I am interested both in autocross and Spec E30 or 944. My dream after gaining adequate experience would be a NASA Elan NP01.

As expected, my State Farm policy does not cover autocross liability.

I could care less about loss or damage to an autocross vehicle or a spec racer.

I AM concerned about potential liability to injuring an autocross or race track spectator or course worker in an unusual, unforeseeable accident.

Lockton does not seem to offer liability insurance.

This is on the NASA website:

"NASA offers by far the most protection in the business. We have $1M in excess medical coverage. That means if you need to be airlifted to a hospital and the bill comes to $30k which is not covered by your own insurance you pay nothing as our insurance steps in. Most other groups only carry less than $50k in medical coverage so this is a vital benefit nearly unparalleled in the industry. We also cover you for third party liability insurance in case someone not participating in the event sues you for an accident such as a loose wheel injuring a spectator"

Does anyone know how I could review the actual policy to make an informed decision before expending significant resources

to be able to compete?

Many thanks! Tom

There is a big difference between autocross and the wheel-to-wheel roadracing you mention in terms of liability (and coverage.) Anyway, contact the national office with your insurance questions...