NASA 2018 ST1-4 & SU Rules Released 11-29-17

Greg G.

• National Staff

11/29/2017—NASA 2018 Super Touring 1-4 and Super Unlimited Rules Released!

The 2018 version of the NASA Super Touring 1-4 & Super Unlimited Rules will be posted in the next few hours on the NASA Rules page. https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules

As in past years, NASA Time Trial classing will mirror classing of the Super Touring and Performance Touring series, so TT drivers can use these rules for purposes of 2018 TT classing as well.

There have been some changes made in the annual revision process, and they are noted by the blue text. Competitors may notice that the actual font and formatting of the rules has been improved for easier reading. The big change for the series is the addition of the ST5 class, but with the disparity between the rules for the new ST5 class and the ST1-ST4 classes, it was decided to separate those rules into an entirely different rules file.

One of the changes to the ST1-4 rules, brought about by driver input over the season, is rule 6.2.1.1h that allows for reinforcement of suspension mounting locations for strengthening purposes only. Another is that NASA has developed its own method of measuring tire width, called the NASA Section Width measurement, along with measurement tools that will be available in every region and templates for those tools in a .pdf file on the NASA Rules page. The NASA Section Width measurement will take the place of previous rules regarding tire size, with a transition period for ST1-4, but immediately for the new ST5 class. NASA will notify competitors via a Technical Bulletin when the transition will be completed, but it is anticipated in less than 6 months. This measurement will even out some of the tire width issues we have seen over the year in part due to wheel sizing, without having to actually limit or measure wheels. There is a minor change in the Modification Factor for the 245 size or smaller (NASA Section Width 266mm or smaller) from +0.7 to +0.6, and we have added a Modification Factor for UTQG Treadwear 200 or greater tires in all classes.

The only other major change is the method of calculating the Average Horsepower (Avg HP). While a little more complicated, it should provide a better approximation of the horsepower available over a range of usable RPM. As in the past, if a competitor does not want to do any of these calculations, the Maximum Horsepower can always be used to calculate the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio instead! The improved method has more data points to be evaluated with a switch from looking at the HP in 500 rpm increments to 250 rpm increments. As well, the number of data points used for the actual calculation will depend on the engine’s rpm redline. Larger, lower revving engines will use less data points, and the smaller engines that rev higher will use more data points giving them a measurement of a wider rpm power band.

Have a great 2018 season, and we will see you at COTA in September for the once again unified NASA National Championships!

Greg Greenbaum, M.D.

NASA National ST/PT/TT Director

• National Staff

Greg - when will will the section width template PDF be available on the rules page?

I thought they were going to be posted yesterday, but I know the folks who would actually upload them are at the 25 Hour. So, it might be a few more days. I'm going to see if they can post them today, though.

I measured Hoosier A7 245/40/18 on Arc 8 9.5" rims. They fit easily within the 266 template both on car and off car. I had some loose tires (not mounted on rims) and they were real close (close enough that I didn't trust my cardboard template).

• National Staff
I measured Hoosier A7 245/40/18 on Arc 8 9.5" rims. They fit easily within the 266 template both on car and off car. I had some loose tires (not mounted on rims) and they were real close (close enough that I didn't trust my cardboard template).

Exactly. That is why if you put it on a bigger wheel that it will not be compliant with the 266 template.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greg - when will the class form be updated for the new rules? As an example, the tire modifier for 245's is +07 in the old form but is +0.6 with the new rules. For now, I have just penned in +0.6 on my form.

Thanks in advance,

Denis

TT3

• Greg G. unpinned this topic