MemphisRob

NASA Tire Section Width - User Contributed Database

pastoli

I tested a 245/40/17 Hoosier A7 on a 9.5" wheel. It would not pass the 266mm template. The width rules were based off these tires on this size wheel working when they were getting data to create this width rule. Where is the accounting of manufacturing error? This seems ridiculous. I am now on a 225 to be compliant. Thanks!

Greg G.
I tested a 245/40/17 Hoosier A7 on a 9.5" wheel. It would not pass the 266mm template. The width rules were based off these tires on this size wheel working when they were getting data to create this width rule. Where is the accounting of manufacturing error? This seems ridiculous. I am now on a 225 to be compliant. Thanks!

I don't know where you got the idea that the rules were based off these tires on a 9.5" wheel, because the rules were based on R7's on a 9" wheel. We never tested these tires on a 9.5" wheel for the rules revision process. I personally tested them for my own car, and they did not fit. I'm not sure why some of the guys on here said they do fit. I also posted that there was some variability in the manufacturer's production of these tires, and they have assured us that they will stay within specifications going forward.

Clavette
I purchased both a 245/40/18 and 245/35/18 Hoosier R7 and neither of them would clear the 266 template dismounted. Not sure how someone got this to work on a rim with pressure???

245/40/18 's as you mention do not pass unmounted, but they do pass on 9.5" Arc-8 rims. I have some pictures posted on NASA MA Time Trial Facebook site. Why do they get skinnier on the rim - I do not know...but they do.

NorcalTT

I don't know where you got the idea that the rules were based off these tires on a 9.5" wheel, because the rules were based on R7's on a 9" wheel. We never tested these tires on a 9.5" wheel for the rules revision process. I personally tested them for my own car, and they did not fit. I'm not sure why some of the guys on here said they do fit. I also posted that there was some variability in the manufacturer's production of these tires, and they have assured us that they will stay within specifications going forward.

Can there not be some 'allowance' for lack of a better term for this manufacturing or whatever variability? Do people really think that 1-2mm difference in width as measured 30mm from the actual tread width is going to make any material difference in performance? 1-2mm is about the width of a pencil tip and for that we are going to make a bunch of folks buy new wheels? Anyone who thinks they were not winning because someone was running a 9.5 inch rim vs. a 9 inch will continue losing. We need to rethink rules like this before Super Touring gets renamed Super Tedious.

kfennell

275/35-15 fit on 15x9 Adventi S2 and Konig Dial in.

Wondering if anyone knows if they fit on a 15x10 or not? It was only a few MM to spare, so very close. They do not fit the template unmounted, so I am thinking they probably dont fit on a 10.