Application of Min Comp Weight

dsc off

Can someone explain to a TT newb like me what's the purpose of the min comp weight in number classes? I guess my question comes down why does the online calculator determine WtP compliance based on the min comp weight? If the interpretation of min comp weight is a figure you'll generally be above, why does it act as a limiting factor in the online calculator? If it's solely for tire sizing, shouldn't drivers enter both their min weight and separately a "benchmark" weight for evaluating WtP?

I can envision a scenario where you get sent to dyno and your avg whp (absolute #) is higher than what's submitted but your calculated ratio is still within class limit... would that lead to DQ as well? Else it seems like it's in everyone's best interest to submit an overly conservative low min comp weight (to avoid risk of DQ due to uncalibrated scales) so long as it's high enough to warrant your tire choice, which in that case I don't get the point of min comp weights.

• National Staff
Can someone explain to a TT newb like me what's the purpose of the min comp weight in number classss? I guess my question comes down why does the online calculator determine WtP compliance based on the min comp weight? If the interpretation of min comp weight is a figure you'll generally be above, why does it act as a limiting factor in the online calculator? If it's just for tire sizing, shouldn't drivers enter both their min weight and separately a "benchmark" weight for evaluating WtP?

I can envision a scenario where you get sent to dyno and your avg whp (absolute #) is higher than what's submitted but your calculated ratio is still within class limit... would that lead to DQ as well? Else it seems like it's in everyone's best interest to submit an overly conservative low min comp weight (to avoid risk of DQ due to uncalibrated scales) so long as it's high enough to warrant your tire choice, which in that case I don't get the point of min comp weights.

Here are a few of the passages from the rules to help you:

"At events where Dyno testing is available, ST Officials at their option will use either: a) the Average HP entered on the ST/TT Car Classification Form along with the actual vehicle weight after competition to calculate the “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio” for that vehicle; or b) the results of Dyno testing either requested by ST Officials or performed due to a protest at the track to calculate the “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio”. Again, if the actual vehicle weight is less than the Minimum Competition Weight listed on the ST/TT Car Classification Form, it will be D/Q'd. Additionally, at the discretion of the ST Director, Regional ST Leader, or Race Director, the Minimum Competition Weight listed on the ST Car Classification Form may be used for the calculation if the vehicle was either not weighed in impound, or the Dyno inspection was done at a random time."

"Competitors are permitted (and encouraged) to enter an Average HP number on the ST/TT Car Classification Form that is higher than that showing on their certified Dyno report to allow room for Dyno variance (between pre-competition testing done by the competitor and any compliance testing performed by ST Officials.) Competitors may choose to forego Avg HP calculations for pre-competition Dyno purposes, and use the Maximum Peak HP of the highest Dyno run (or a number higher than Peak HP) for Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio calculations. However, Section 7.3 still applies, and if the actual vehicle weight is less than the Minimum Competition Weight listed on the ST/TT Car Classification Form, it will result in a D/Q."

"8.4.3 Procedural Violations:

Any Procedural Violation of the rules that is found after a qualifying session, but before a race will result in the vehicle moving to the back of its class (or back of the field if not gridded by class) on the pre-grid. Any Procedural Violation that is found after a race will result in the loss of one position place in the final results. The following are all Procedural Violations:

1) Failure to revise or resubmit a Car Classification Form after new assessed modifications have been made

2) Incorrectly assessing Modification Factors

3) Failure to note all modifications that require Modification Factor assessment

4) Failing a Dyno test (over the maximum listed on the Car Classification Form) by any amount

5) Incorrectly calculating the Minimum Competition Weight necessary to

be legal for the class."

It's pretty simple. The easiest thing to measure is weight, and it is available at every event, every session. So, if the vehicle's weight goes under what the competitor has on the ST/TT Form that is compliant with the chosen Avg HP limit, it's a DQ--done. No Dyno testing is necessary. If competitors can't make the weight they have chosen for themselves, then DQ. In the past, before this rule, competitors would at times play "fast and loose" with their weight, and "assume" on a hot day that they would make less power. At events where we had a Dyno, this lead to us "having" to Dyno them, even if we wouldn't have otherwise. And, most of the time, they still were DQ'd.

If the car makes weight, and Officials want to see the Dyno testing, and the car goes over the Avg HP listed on the Form, but is still compliant with the Wt/HP Ratio because they were weighed right before the Dyno (note above that the Official doesn't have to weigh the car, and can use the Min Comp. Wt), then it would end up being a procedural violation for going over on HP.