TT5: Hood Venting

truegearhead

• National Staff
Am I correct in that hood venting as stated in the rules includes vents used purely for downforce?

Cheers

"5) Hood replacement/modification for venting and/or weight reduction (“aero”

hood pins are permitted)."

"If not using the BTM Aero Modification Factor, aerodynamic parts/devices/aides

shall be limited in ST5 to the following:...."

So, if you mean that venting your hood does allow for some change in downforce, then that would be okay as a side effect of venting. If you mean a vent that has an actual spoiler or foil or air dam of some type built into it that provides direct downforce, then it would not be okay. Also, I don't know that any hood vent is "purely" for downforce, as there would be some cooling effect if cooler air is moving past the engine.

Am I correct in that hood venting as stated in the rules includes vents used purely for downforce?

Cheers

So, if you mean that venting your hood does allow for some change in downforce, then that would be okay as a side effect of venting. If you mean a vent that has an actual spoiler or foil or air dam of some type built into it that provides direct downforce, then it would not be okay. Also, I don't know that any hood vent is "purely" for downforce, as there would be some cooling effect if cooler air is moving past the engine.

It’s a mid-engine so the engine cooling argument will be tough to say the least.

• National Staff

Cheers

It’s a mid-engine so the engine cooling argument will be tough to say the least.

In that case, wouldn't the front be a trunk compartment, and putting a vent in the hood would not do anything (unless you did a modification to the floor of the compartment for aero purposes that is not listed as permitted).

I think I could argue the hood is in the front always but you’re right about modifying the floor. I would have to cut into the front trunk which doesn’t sound legal. Guess I’m stuck, I’m trying to find some front downforce to allow for a balanced aero package but with the a-arm penalty and mid-engine penalty I can’t afford the splitter penalty.