Spec E30 or ST5 in a BRZ?

dstrout

I have a 2013 BRZ with 50K miles that sits in my driveway and only gets used for HPDE days. I’m trying to decide between building out the BRZ to run in ST5 or just selling it and using the money to buy a used SpecE30. I can put about $8K into this ( ie $8K into the BRZ or spend $15-ish K on an e30 if I sell the BRZ for $7k). I’d be running mid-Atlantic region most likely. The goal is to develop my driving with an eye to being sorta competitive in a couple years.

What would you do and why?

Look through past results but I don't know of anyone running ST5 (is it a new class?). E30 seems to have a strong following......I just can't get past the sound of mosquitos on heroin!

Why, I want cars to compete with. I always wondered why some people want to go do laps while coming in first......and last.

I have a 2013 BRZ with 50K miles that sits in my driveway and only gets used for HPDE days. I’m trying to decide between building out the BRZ to run in ST5 or just selling it and using the money to buy a used SpecE30. I can put about $8K into this ( ie $8K into the BRZ or spend $15-ish K on an e30 if I sell the BRZ for $7k). I’d be running mid-Atlantic region most likely. The goal is to develop my driving with an eye to being sorta competitive in a couple years.

What would you do and why?

welcome to my struggle.. I have an E36M3 that I am doing TT with... and I'd like to cage and race it... but against who? To have someone to race with on a regular basis, the only way to go in my region is SPEC E30, SPEC Miata, or 944 Spec.

As someone who runs a pretty competitive TT/ST/E1 FR-S I can tell you you'll need a lot more than 8k to make it really competitive in ST5. Aside from all the standard things to go faster, you'll need either more power or to put the car on a serious diet to get it to the rules minimum for the weight/power ratio. Both of those require more $$.

If you can buy a competitive Spec E30 package for similar money and you have a strong/consistent SpecE30 car count in your region I'd say go SpecE30.

• 3 weeks later...

As an SE30 racer in the Mid-Atlantic, I'm biased. But 100% you should go the E30 route. Number one reason is the car count. We are one of if not the biggest field in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. That means plenty of people to race with, plenty of people to help out with parts and expertise, and an exceptional camaraderie in the paddock. No matter where you are in the field, you'll have someone to race - which is WAY more fun that turning laps by yourself. (Been there and done that in classes with small fields) The cars are plenty fun to drive, and don't cost an arm and a leg. Note that we are getting a new (better) suspension for this upcoming year. Any car you buy probably won't have it, so factor in about $400 for that. Consumables on this car are cheap as well - 15" Toyos are about as cheap as they come, light weight means pads and rotors last a long while. Rotors are like $15.