ST-5 tires

jhp

I'm new to NASA ST-5 and I'm looking for clarification with regards to tire selection.

Can I run any brand?

Can I run any UTQG treadware?

I’m thinking of using Hoosier R7s and H2Os but open to other options.

rules say they must be DOT NON-autocross tires (No A7/a6/R1s/Rs AC etc) treadwear rating higher than 100 get a 0.3 break in the power/weight ratio

Tire size determined by weight...... More or less, 205 tires for cars under 2400lbs, 225 for cars 2749-2400lbs, and 245's for cars over 2749lbs

And Corvettes aren't allowed of course

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/12742/ST5_Rules_2018--v1.4--1-18-18.pdf

• National Staff

And Corvettes aren't allowed of course

And neither are WRX's, STI's, Evo's, 350Z's, most 911's, any later model Mustang, and just about any other vehicle that was based classed in the PT rules as PTD** or higher.

• 4 years later...

Greetings all!  Another rookie ST5 guy here.  I want to confirm my understanding of ST5 tire rules:

Hoosier A7 = nope, not allowed

Hoosier R7 245's on a car over 2749lbs = no problem and I should indicate the "N/A" boxes for size and type on my compliance form

Do I have this right?

Thanks!

• National Staff
12 hours ago, David Henry said:

Greetings all!  Another rookie ST5 guy here.  I want to confirm my understanding of ST5 tire rules:

Hoosier A7 = nope, not allowed

Hoosier R7 245's on a car over 2749lbs = no problem and I should indicate the "N/A" boxes for size and type on my compliance form

Do I have this right?

Thanks!

Yes. Correct. 

Tacking on one more related question: 

It might rain this weekend.  All I have currently is a used set of pirelli wets that I'm pretty sure aren't legal for ST5.  If I finish do I still get a credit towards completing my provisional license races if I use those and get DQ'd.  Are there any other consequences I should be aware of?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, David Henry said:

Tacking on one more related question: 

It might rain this weekend.  All I have currently is a used set of pirelli wets that I'm pretty sure aren't legal for ST5.  If I finish do I still get a credit towards completing my provisional license races if I use those and get DQ'd.  Are there any other consequences I should be aware of?

You will be fine. 
You should let your series leader know that you will not be compliant ahead of time. You can move up a class or compete in a SU.