Looking to get into time trial racing - questions

TMF

Hello all,

I'm looking to get into more time trial racing, and I have a few questions. First, a bit about me:

-autox'er for about 7 years

-attended various track days at BIR (Brainerd International Raceway)

-instructor for the local autox club and have also instructed at track nights at our local track at Dakota County Tech College (not a full on race track, but it is a police training course that is 1+ mile long)

-recently joined a race team and competed in my first race last year. We run a SC400.

-I drive a FRS. I'd still like to compete in the occasional autox event throughout the year and remain competitive.

-currently reside in Minnesota, but am relocating to Columbus, OH within the next couple months.

With the upcoming move and very convenient location to Mid-Ohio (and the number of NASA events there), I'm looking to do more time trial racing instead of autox (in addition to 1-2 race events per year). At this point, I still enjoy driving my FRS on the street occasionally, and having my own tow rig and trailer (the rig for the race team is in MN and not an option for my use in OH) is out of the question, so having a caged race car isn't an option for me at this point. That said, I'd still like to find ways to compete on track (typical HPDE's get a little monotonous without any competition).

I realize the best way to learn about NASA is to attend an event, but I'm hoping to participate in the event at Mid-Ohio on April 20-22. I've been reading up on the rules and forum, but I still have a few questions:

1. Uh, PT, ST, TT...what's the difference? TT = time trial racing against the clock only; ST = super touring/wheel to wheel; PT = pro touring/wheel to wheel?

2. For TTD, a cage is not required, correct?

3. TTD is likely going away for 2019, correct?

4. For TT5, a cage is required, correct?

I like the idea of TTD because it looks like there are more modification restrictions (aka, I don't have to blow the budget to have a competitive car) and I don't have to cage the car. However it sounds like TTD is going away, so I'll be stuck in TT5 in the future anyway.

Regarding Mid-Ohio on 4/20-22, perhaps it would be best to run in the HPDE first just to get a feel for the event? I'm assuming that the HPDE group runs throughout the day during separate sessions as the other classes...

Thanks in advance, and hope to see you at the track.

-Jordan

Hello all,

1. Uh, PT, ST, TT...what's the difference? TT = time trial racing against the clock only; ST = super touring/wheel to wheel; PT = pro touring/wheel to wheel?

PT ans ST are wheel to wheel. TT1-5 follow ST rules, TTD-F follow PT rules. Basically ST is HP/WT, PT is points based

Correct

Correct, probably.

You do not need a cage. TT follows ST/PT for classing, but follows HPDE for safety requirements. That said, the safer the better. I am personally doing a roll bar/seats/harness,

I like the idea of TTD because it looks like there are more modification restrictions (aka, I don't have to blow the budget to have a competitive car) and I don't have to cage the car. However it sounds like TTD is going away, so I'll be stuck in TT5 in the future anyway.

Regarding Mid-Ohio on 4/20-22, perhaps it would be best to run in the HPDE first just to get a feel for the event? I'm assuming that the HPDE group runs throughout the day during separate sessions as the other classes...

This is an EXCELLENT track with a fantastic region. I would highly recommend their HPDE program. It is likely the best in the country. It would be a good way to see how the events run, and no matter what level you are you will learn things.

-Jordan

Hello all,

PT ans ST are wheel to wheel. TT1-5 follow ST rules, TTD-F follow PT rules. Basically ST is HP/WT, PT is points based

Correct

Correct, probably.

You do not need a cage. TT follows ST/PT for classing, but follows HPDE for safety requirements. That said, the safer the better. I am personally doing a roll bar/seats/harness,

This is an EXCELLENT track with a fantastic region. I would highly recommend their HPDE program. It is likely the best in the country. It would be a good way to see how the events run, and no matter what level you are you will learn things.

-Jordan

Perfect, thank you for the feedback. Does their HPDE program have instructors? Although I have a fair amount of experience, and have been practicing up at Mid-Ohio on iracing, I always welcome feedback from quality instructors.

And I totally hear you on the safety aspects. I wish I could cage the FRS, but it just doesn't make sense right now. I do however have a Scrotche Rallye 3 4 point harness (with anti-sub technology) and I also plan to run a HANS. I might also consider mounting up a fire extinguisher.

They have some of the best instructors anywhere. They also do a lot of in class instruction with some really knowledgeable dudes. I am an instructor, and instruct in a couple of regions, and I can say without hesitation will be beyond impressed with the level of instruction you get. As I said, probably the best in the country, till you start paying for one on one driving coaches.

• Members

Perfect, thank you for the feedback. Does their HPDE program have instructors? Although I have a fair amount of experience, and have been practicing up at Mid-Ohio on iracing, I always welcome feedback from quality instructors.

And I totally hear you on the safety aspects. I wish I could cage the FRS, but it just doesn't make sense right now. I do however have a Scrotche Rallye 3 4 point harness (with anti-sub technology) and I also plan to run a HANS. I might also consider mounting up a fire extinguisher.

I would definitely recommend signing up for HPDE at your first event. As mentioned, instructors are available in all levels of the Great Lakes HPDE program.

Just to give you a heads up, the Schroth Rallye 3 is not allowed per the NASA CCR as it does not meet FMVSS 209 (Per Schroth). See page 41 of the CCR.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/282/2018.3.pdf

Check out the rest of the CCR as well.

Schroth also states that the Rallye 3 is not compatible with a HANS or any other head and neck restraint devices.

The tentative schedule and other event information can be found here.

http://nasagreatlakes.com/Schedule/Mid-Ohio-April.aspx