Rental cars for HPDE

DAV1968

What are the specific guidelines for rental cars for HPDE? Do they have to be race rentals or can they be standard rental cars?

I have seen some organization allow both.

I started HPDE in a bone stock SRT8 Charger........and boiled the factory brake fluid before the end of the first day. After swapping pads and fluid I tracked the hell out of that car for 8-10 weekends before buying a full prep racecar. If you go rent a mustang GT or something of the like I'd recommend the lightest car possible and be conscious of brake fade.

• 9 months later...

I've seen guys split HPDE days, sometimes people will rent out a seat in their car AKA you pay $XXX and split the sessions driving that car. A couple guys in my region were having paint work done on their personal cars and rented a new Toyota Camry auto and brought it out. They flew by me hauling a** in that thing. It was raining, so they had all seasons helping out. Just be SUPER careful. As long as you bring it back cleaned up and in one piece, the rental place doesn't need to know ;) 

But +1 on a light car. You could light your brakes up on a heavier car like a Mustang with stock brakes and fluid.

• 4 months later...