ST5 Shock rules

10cc

Not clear about shock/strut rule in ST5. The rule states -7 for non OEM shock with external reservoir, OR diameter over 40mm. Seems odd that the replacement shock has to be narrower than the stock shock. My stock strut is 42mm ID, but we can't find a decent competitive shock in the OE size anymore, as the cars are old.

• National Staff
Not clear about shock/strut rule in ST5. The rule states -7 for non OEM shock with external reservoir, OR diameter over 40mm. Seems odd that the replacement shock has to be narrower than the stock shock. My stock strut is 42mm ID, but we can't find a decent competitive shock in the OE size anymore, as the cars are old.

"OR with shaft diameter 40mm or greater"

There are plenty of shocks with less than 40mm shaft diameter that are very competitive. (it doesn't say body diameter).

Thanks Greg, I read that late at night, while toying with new shocks for ST5, and mistook "shaft" for "body". All is good. I have to say ST5 rules are a great improvement over PTC/D. Was heading for PTD, but if as it changes next year to ST5, we are going there now.