Sign in to follow this  

HPDE in a Legends Car?

Just trying to figure out how one could go through the HPDE classes with a Legend? You can't put an instructor for ride along in there with you for HPDE 1 with no 2nd seat and no room for one anyway but I guess you could possibly start in HPDE 2 where no instructor ride along is required. Any Legend racers gone through HPDE from 1-4 to obtain license? What did you do? Can you skip HPDE 1?

Also noticed that I could cheat and buy the INEX license from 600 Racing and get a FREE competition license from NASA with no HPDE but, that would not make me any better driver on the track and it could also endanger me and others in a true wheel to wheel road race. Please explain the process that I need to follow to obtain my competiton license from NASA correctly. Keep in mind that I do not own a street car to use as an HPDE vehicle since I only have a pickup truck and my Legends car. Thanks,AL

PSUCRX

Use a street car in HPDE, that is what it is primarily focused on. Learn the basics, and then look into doing it in your Legends car.

Legends21

Al:

I don't know about HPDE, but when I did go through Drivers Ed at Carolina Motorsports Park (SC) with Turn One Motorsports (http://www.turn1motorsports.com/) as part of their "Track Days" program. I told them I had a Legends Car and they arranged for one of their instructors to set up "Lead/Follow" sessions for me. For the first session, I rode with my instructor in his Porsche 911, learning the lines. In following sessions, I would follow my instructor, gradually building speed. The instructor would critique my driving after each session.

If you are anywhere near Carolina Motorsports Park, I would highly recommend Turn One Motorsports program.

Also, you could start in the back of a NASA event and build confidence that way also. The Legends racers at NASA are always willing to help other racers (both new and old).

Dale

Thanks for replying to my post. I am deffinitely interested in starting in the rear deffinitely when I do make an actual race. I guess that I could HPDE 1 or 2 if I could get an instructor to allow me to do a ride with them and then do a lead/follow. I guess you obviously don't need a race license of any type other than state road drivers license since I would be attempting to obtain a NASA license anyway. Thanks again,AL

My son in-law took my legends car out in the HPDE 1 session last month. They did a lead/follow with downloads after each session. Contact your NASA region for details.

Mike #54

Jeff D

As someone who has gone through the HPDE ranks and obtained a Comp.License with a Legend I'll add the following. Some of this was already brought up by others and the methods mentioned (bring a street car, lead/follow, ride along, etc.) are all good.

Spending one weekend (or at least a few sessions) in a car with an instructor is a must. If you don't have a street car you can HPDE in at least spend a session or two riding with an instructor in their car. Having an experienced driver with you and able to comment on your performance (or lack of it ) while you are on track is a plus. This is something that I miss when going to a new track, and I'll try and ride shotgun with an HPDE4 driver for a session if I have time.

As far as using the INEX license to skip through the HPDE ranks straight to racing I wouldn't recommend it. This is just my opinion, but when 600 first designed these cars they were meant to be run on the small, flat ovals at lower speeds.....not 100+ on a road course. It isn't that the cars can't be run at these speeds, or be competitive (and a lot of fun) on a roadcourse, but a 10-16 turn road course (with elevation changes, blind corners, .....right hand turns ) is a lot more complex. Just paying a fee and turning you loose in a road course race is not a good idea. You would be a danger to yourself and others.

**I keep hearing people say that drivers of other cars don't like the Legends cars racing with them......wondering if this is one of the reasons why.

If you have prior racing experience talk with your region director. Let them know you are interested in moving up to racing ASAP and they'll work on getting you through the ranks faster. I think (Oh/In region) still requires you to go through the Comp.School and I know we make people start in the back for their first race.

Just remember (and this is my opinion again) whatever steps/levels you skip to get to racing sooner you are liable to make up for it by missing racing weekends at home fixing your smashed up car.