Is a C5 too much for a Beginner?

EricJ17

Hi all! Nearly 5 years ago I asked what would be a good car for a beginner that’s not a Miata. Someone recommended a New Edge Mustang and it took 4 years but I finally bought one last year. I didn’t make it on the track but I had some fun on the street in the car. Long story short, while I liked the car, I bought the wrong one. I wound up getting it for $3500 and the car had a little bit of surface rust but due to circumstances the car saw a little salt this winter and is now noticeably much more rusty. Unfortunately it needs just about every single wear item replaced, and I just can’t bring myself to spend that amount of money on a rusty car that I’m not certain won’t need more serious work in the future. So that brings me to the question in my title!

I wouldn’t mind another, better New Edge, but I honestly don’t fit great in it and I hate the driver ergonomics. I’m 6’3 and all legs. I do, however, love the v8, rwd and manual. I also can’t pass up good value. I want a c5. I think it’s the perfect formula for the street, but is it good for the track for a complete beginner? My only experience is about 7 or so autocrosses and the c5 would be more power than any car I’ve driven even on the street. Also, I’ve never sat in one so I can’t be 100% certain the driving position will suit me better (input from a taller c5 driver would be appreciated!). The only other car on my list is the 350z which seems like a good value as well, but a little tougher to work on and not nearly as much fun on the street. If anyone has any input on this I would appreciate it!

I race a mustang but my initial HPDE car was a 500hp Dodge Charger. The reality is a lower HP car will actually teach you faster/better but the C5 makes a great track car. Like any car, make sure you research/know what needs upgrades for track use (probably brake pads/rotors/fluid to start.).

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies on the late reply. I did not get a c5. Drove a really clean c5 in August and even at 60k miles it was rattling around like crazy. I want a car that’s a good street car and a good beginner track car, but the c5 is not as good of a street car as I thought. Not super engaging to drive, but even on a quick test drive I could tell it would be good on the track. Steering was direct, but didn’t have great feel and the car was pretty quick, but didn’t necessarily feel too fast. I did fit like a glove though. I’ve decided to wait until the spring for a car, and I will either just be getting a cheap car that has good driving dynamics like a focus svt, or a nicer car like an e46 330 depending on how much I want to spend. Neither of which is great on the street, but neither car would be rattling like crazy which really bugs me on the street.