Provisional 2019 ST5 & ST6 Rules are Online! 7-31-19

Greg G.

• National Staff

Folks,

We have posted the Provisional 2019 ST5 and ST6 Rules! You can download them from the NASA website rules page or the ST website.

https://supertouring.nasaseries.com/forms-rules/

https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules

With the addition of ST6, we will be deleting the remainder of the Performance Touring classes and putting that series to bed.

Please note the additional minor changes that will impact ST5. All changes are in blue text.

See you at COTA!

Why increase the penalty for a-arms? The NC Miata is already at disadvantage as it is with the current rules in ST5 and not allowed in ST6

• National Staff

Not sure what type of clarification you were looking for. Those of the same rules as for ST4 an ST5 over the past two seasons.

Yes, ST6 equals TT6.

Yes will need to take the examples.

"8) Flared and/or rolled fenders. (Only to extent necessary to cover tire as viewed

from above)"

Does this mean that bolt/rivet on flares are allowed or that you can only flare out the existing sheetmetal?

• National Staff
"8) Flared and/or rolled fenders. (Only to extent necessary to cover tire as viewed

from above)"

Does this mean that bolt/rivet on flares are allowed or that you can only flare out the existing sheetmetal?

You can use bolt on or rivet on fender flares. But you cannot change out the entire front fender with some widebody kit.

• 2 weeks later...

How do piggyback/remote reservoir adjustable shocks differ from adjustable shocks with no reservoir? Other than making it easier to reach the adjustment knobs, there is no difference between a remote reservoir double/triple/quad adustable shock and the same with adjustments on the shock body.

Per the rules a remote reservoir non-adjustable shock will be penalized while a double adjustable shock with adjustments on the body will not be.

I'm building a 1992 Miata for HPDE and TT-(5 or 6) and am wondering why the pounds per horsepower for 6 is out of sequence: 6 - 8 - 10 - 12 - 14 - 17(?).

Thanks.

I'm building a 1992 Miata for HPDE and TT-(5 or 6) and am wondering why the pounds per horsepower for 6 is out of sequence: 6 - 8 - 10 - 12 - 14 - 17(?).

Thanks.

Never mind, I found the answer here: "Any possibility of a ST7/TT7 ?"

Is the addition of a trailing link from the transmission tunnel to the top of the diff housing, for the installation of a TriLink rear suspension on a 1st gen RX7 allowed under ST6 rule 6.1.9(2)? This suspension change involves installation of Panhard bar, and removal of both upper trailing arms.

• National Staff
Is the addition of a trailing link from the transmission tunnel to the top of the diff housing, for the installation of a TriLink rear suspension on a 1st gen RX7 allowed under ST6 rule 6.1.9(2)? This suspension change involves installation of Panhard bar, and removal of both upper trailing arms.

Isn't that essentially a Torque Arm?

5) Panhard rods, watts links, and torque arms may be added, replaced, or modified, and a Modification Factor will be assessed.

• National Staff
In ST5, or maybe ST6 next year, can I change the stock ignition on my RX7 to Direct Fire? Basically moving a few wires around.

Can I use an MSD box?

Yep, these are the power modification rules:

6.1.1 Power Modification Limitations

1) Nitrous Oxide use is prohibited. Pre-existing tanks must be removed.

2) Methanol/Alcohol-water injection is not permitted.

3) Engine swaps are permitted, but the donor vehicle must be a model eligible

to compete in ST5 for an ST5 vehicle, and ST6 for an ST6 vehicle. (section 4)

4) From the start of qualifying through the end of post-race inspection, vehicles

may not have any adjustments or modifications made to systems that could

alter chassis dynamometer readings by changing horsepower levels (without

the direct approval of the Race Director.) Any hardware that allows a

competitor or crew member to wirelessly or directly connect to the ECU

(or alter ECU maps) at any time during competition or post-competition

impound is strictly prohibited, regardless of whether such hardware is

external or internal to the ECU, and regardless of the direction of data

flow.

Greg, I have to say that these ST5/6 rules are an amazing improvement over the old PT rules. I guess I keep asking the questions because I have a hard time accepting how simple the rules really are. Many thanks, B

• National Staff

No problem. There are both positives and negatives to having more simple and open rules. The more simple and open they are, the more likely they are to end up producing a single car model as the "must have" in order to be competitive. We are attempting to thread a pretty small needle with these rules in order to have some cost containment, allow for multiple vehicles to be competitive in the end, and to be much more simple than the prior PT Rules.

We have some issues regarding our eligibility requirements for ST6 that we need to deal with before the rules change from Provisional to Official, and we will deal with those after the Champs.

For clarification's sake, the rules state that the displacement in ST6, has to be "under 2.5L" according to the rules. I know I am splitting hairs here, but say a car is listed from the factory as a "2.5L" engine, but the engine's true displacement is something along the lines of 2497cc. Would that engine still be eligible since it is technically "under 2.5L"?

• National Staff
For clarification's sake, the rules state that the displacement in ST6, has to be "under 2.5L" according to the rules. I know I am splitting hairs here, but say a car is listed from the factory as a "2.5L" engine, but the engine's true displacement is something along the lines of 2497cc. Would that engine still be eligible since it is technically "under 2.5L"?

Yes, we would be using the factory listing, like we are using for the HP.

We do have a number of requests for changes to the eligibility rule for ST6, though, and we are going to look at that after the Champs.

We do have a number of requests for changes to the eligibility rule for ST6, though, and we are going to look at that after the Champs.

So would it be legal or illegal? The factory lists both values. 2.5L and then 2497cc, which is technically under the 2.5L cutoff.

• National Staff

So would it be legal or illegal? The factory lists both values. 2.5L and then 2497cc, which is technically under the 2.5L cutoff.

The 2.5L.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greg, can you provide and information on how the max hp / displacment eligibility numbers were reach and how likely the are to remain unchanged. 

To me the ST6 hp of 168 hp seems low compare to the ST5 of 264 hp

I know adjustmet and average hp are factors to be considered by for easy compression the ST5 would be around 3600 and the ST6 would be 2850

And there are cars that had a starting point PTE or less that are above the break for ST6 (hp or displacement) 

Integra GS-R

TSX

A4 1.8T AND 2.8l

A few different 3 series models 

Dodge dart 2.4l

Rx8 

Sentra ser spec v

Etc

• Greg G. unpinned this topic