Any possibility of a ST7/TT7 ?

Salvisol

Is there any plans to make a ST7/TT7 for the folks that ran TTF/PTF?

I see the rules for ST6 and the new horsepower requirement of 17:1 is much closer to PTE than it is to PTF. It seems like there is no longer a home for the people that ran TTF/PTF and were perfectly fine at that cost level.

Is there any plans to make a ST7/TT7 for the folks that ran TTF/PTF?

I see the rules for ST6 and the new horsepower requirement of 17:1 is much closer to PTE than it is to PTF. It seems like there is no longer a home for the people that ran TTF/PTF and were perfectly fine at that cost level.

The reason for ST6 was to combined PTE and PTF. 17:1 plus the A-arm hit puts the pw:wt right smack dab in the heart of most PTE Miatas that vastly overpopulate PTE. PTE cars with fwd credits and and less than ideal suspensions were allowed to run down into the 15+:1 range. 17:1 fits the majority of PTE cars and lures in the PTF cars to make a little more power.

I understand that former PTF cars can be powered up to compete. That's assuming drivers want to spend the money to power up. It's not the cheapest thing on some cars to power up. Some people might not want to take on that extra expense.

I'll admit that TTF/PTF was one of the classes I was looking at because it offered the cheapest cost to TT and W2W.

I'm not an active racer or time trialer. It would be great to get some feedback from some current TTF/PTF guys.

• 4 months later...

Well, I for one wil be forced to switch to SCCA thanks to the change. I have a B-Spec MINI, weighing in at ~2500 lbs. WHP is about 107. That puts me at over 23:1. There is really not much I can do about WHP (normally aspirated). I can add a wing and knock off a little weight which would get me to about 21:1. But I’m not about to go get spanked by a bunch of PTE Miatas to the tune of six seconds a lap at Summit. The argument to combine PTE and PTF into ST6 is nothing more than a financial penalty to the guys with slower cars.

I’ve been racing PTE/PTF with NASA on and off for many years. Shame that they are forcing my hand to leave.

PTF has been dead in Mid Atlantic as long as I've been running here and was a 19.5:1 class anyway.  People don't want to run that slow and I don't see an even slower class helping that.  You didnt have a prepped car for the non-existant PTF, so why care about not having one for ST6 which will be about as fast as PTE was.

Irony also being that with the FWD modifier you should have been in the neighborhood of 18.5:1 anyway.

Edited by JamesMilko

And you holding a class record in a car that you aren't even trying to run in ST6 has anything to do with what?

How many B-spec cars show up for Majors and MAARS races?

No, I have a different car that I bought with the hope of running in PTF. PTE is far too fast for me. I prefer to run with the “slow” cars that nobody wants to see on track. Kind of like PTE for those running PTC and PTD.

Except PTE is faster than SM and SE30 which are likely the 2 best attended classes in all of NASA.

You seem to be extremely confused, this is drivenasa.com, not scca.com.  How many PTF cars made nats this year?

• National Staff

Guys, I'm not sure how the personal banter is helpful, but there are some valid points within those posts.  If drivers wanted to continue to have a very low level class like PTF and TTF, they certainly did not vote with their registration choices on that one--especially at the big events.  PTF and TTF were always the lowest attended classes, and remained on the "chopping block" for many years, as promises of "more cars coming" from the PTF/TTF supporters never materialized.  ST6 is likely to be slightly slower than PTE, and we have been telling our drivers in PTF and TTF that this was coming now for 2 years.   No, there is no current plan to have an ST7/TT7 class.  We are doing what we can to consolidate classes and make them bigger and better, both on a regional and National basis.

One more thing....this thread started when the listed Wt/HP was going to be 17:1 for ST6.  It ended up at 18:1 in the Official Rules.